FLEx 8.1.4 breaks Keyman 8 recognition?

Chris W.

May 16, 2015, 10:45:31 PM5/16/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I just had a new Windows 8.1 installation and was working on reinstalling everything.  I installed FLEx 8.1.4 first.  Then Keyman 8, because I haven't yet paid for Keyman 9 and was waiting for confirmation that all the bugs had been worked out between FLEx and Keyman 9.  I went into FLEx to make sure that the phonetic field I have uses the Keyman SIL IPA keyboard and noticed that Keyman is strikingly missing.

At first, I thought there was some corruption in the installation process somewhere.  I tried reinstallation things multiple times and reinstalling and still have the same problem.  I am able to see other IME keyboards in FLEx.  Furthermore, when messing around with settings, I enabled in Keyman 8 the Text Services Framework addin.  *That* does appear in FLEx.  However, the IPA keyboard still will not appear.  And this is what I really want.

And, I went to an older computer that I keep as a backup from about 1 year ago.  This computer was working fine before with FLEx 8.1.x and Keyman 8.  I recently used it for the past several months because I switched over to Linux on my main laptop.  So, I also installed FLEx 8.1.4 on this one.  And, I noticed the same issue.  There is no Keyman 8 keyboard appearing anymore in FLEx 8.1.4.

I'm wondering if trying to solve the problems with Keyman 9, you've introduced a bug where Keyman 8 no longer works?  If that's not the case...then I need some help troubleshooting this.  I've literally had no problem doing these installations for years now, so I'm fairly certain that it wasn't "user error", because I've followed the exact same steps.  Having the computer where it *did* work suddenly not working is seems suspicious to me.

Oh, by the way.  The SIL keyboard does work in FLEx.  I'm still using the default Ctl+Sht+P shortcut and can switch between keyboards and type using IPA in FLEx.  The problem (and it's more of an annoyance that a deal-breaker) is that the Keyman IPA keyboard isn't automatically switched to when I have the focus on a field in FLEx which is set up to use that keyboard.  Point being, there doesn't seem to be any issue with the IPA keyboard installation nor with Keyman 8.  It also works fine typing in IPA in other applications as well.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!