Interlinear Macros and Instructions.doc

Paul Unger

Jun 6, 2017, 6:07:53 PM6/6/17
to FLEx list

I have a friend trying to use the Word XML Export Interlinear feature. He's having problems with formatting, so I suggested he have a look at the document referenced in the E.I. dialogue: "Export to an XML format which can be read directly by Microsoft Word (2003). After opening the document, you need to run a macro to adjust things. Instructions (and the macro) can be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\FieldWorks 8\Language Explorer\Export Templates\Interlinear\Interlinear Macros and Instructions.doc." Now, I don't use MS Word, so I though I'd have a look at the document. Unfortunately, when I open it with LibreOffice (v. 5.2.7.2) it looks like this:

Usually LO does OK with .doc files, but this one is seriously messed up... Two things:
1. is this a problem for others? Probably not, because if you're going to be looking at a document that discusses an issue in MS Word, you probably have the software to view the document. Leave it to me to find an instance where that doesn't hold true! :-P
2. does it make sense to include a .pdf of the document as well? I presume this would be readable in more environments.

Paul
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Hugh Paterson

Jun 6, 2017, 7:36:09 PM6/6/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
@Paul,
uncommon sense would say to make the distribution format PDF.
- Hugh

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Tim Gaved

Jim Kornelsen

Jun 7, 2017, 3:04:30 PM6/7/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
It's possible to delete the text boxes with LibreOffice.  Open the document for editing, go to page 2, click to select each of the (extremely messed up) text boxes and press Delete.  The rest of the document looks fine.

With decent internet access, you can open a free account at https://www.office.com.  The document looks alright in Word Online, although the text boxes are empty, and it cannot Show Gridlines.  Also the macros will not work.

-Jim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/651562d6-2197-4b1f-b120-1c6535fe0b5a%40googlegroups.com.