Re: [FLEx] Digest for flex-list@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 2 topics

Dawut G

May 26, 2016, 5:30:04 AM5/26/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
How can I revert to a previous version of the dictionary before someone else did Send and Receive (and messed up our data)?

David

On 25 May 2016 at 22:06, <flex...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Martin Zaske <martin...@sil.org>: May 23 07:10PM +0100

Hello frequent users,

If there is capacity for the GUI, please make it 100% keyboard ready so
that we can enter and fill-in many many new lexicon entries without the
need to grab the mouse in-between.

And please let the user assign keyboard-shortcuts for the menu entries
which he constantly needs (for example Insert > insert invisible space)
and tweak those keyboard-shortcuts which conflict with
user-brain-pre-wiredness or other needs on the system.

Thank you Ken, machines are meant to work for humans, so no idea is too
radical to be considered for making a UI better. The developers will let
us know about capacity.

Ideally each feature and function should have a toggle (like those
field-visibility thingies) and the user should have the option to create
complex or simple working-environments and them save them to given
names. Then maybe an option to export and import such
working-environments ...

Martin

On 14.05.2016 06:58, KenK wrote:
Beth-docs Bryson <beth-doc...@sil.org>: May 24 07:33PM -0500

Hannes, thank you for finding this important quote from the Etymology
discussion in October 2012.

As part of our current work on the Dictionary area of FLEx, we will be
adding some fields and adjusting others. You'll be happy to know that we
are finally adjusting the Etymology cluster.

What we are planning to do is much like what is outlined below. That is,
the Etymology cluster will now consist of these fields:

Pre-comment: for an annotation indicating the beginning of an Etymology (
"from", "<", "borrowed from", etc.) NEW FIELD
Source Language: what language it came from (see note below)
Source Form: the word it came from. Can record in any analysis or
vernacular Writing System (WS). (EXISTING FIELD, formerly called Etymology)
Gloss: the meaning of the source word. (In any analysis WS.) (EXISTING
FIELD)
Post-comment: To be published in the dictionary entry after everything
above. (Any analysis WS) (EXISTING FIELD, formerly called Comment)
Note: Notes to the dictionary compiler; not to be published. (Any analysis
WS) (NEW FIELD)
Bibliographic Source: Bibliographic evidence for this proposed etymology.
(see note below)

And we are changing it so that there can be more than one Etymology cluster
in the same entry.

In planning how to do this, there were a number of questions.

1. It is apparent that some people have used the existing Source field to
record the source language and others have used it for true bibliographic
source references. In looking at around 100 databases, it seemed roughly
75% used it for language names, 25% for bibliographic info, and a handful
used it for both (different records in the same project). We have decided
that we will migrate the existing Source field into "Source Language"
rather than into "Bibliographic Source". This will mean that some number
of users will have to adjust their data, but our hope is that with Bulk
Edit this will not be hard to do, and that it will be immediately obvious
that they need to when they are looking at the data..

2. It is not clear whether existing users have used "Comment" for comments
to be published in the dictionary entry, or for notes to themselves. At
the moment we are planning to migrate this field to "Post-comment", which
is intended to be published. Again, hopefully it will be easy with Bulk
Edit to change if that is not how you have done it.

3. I am open to suggestions of other possible names for the fields I have
called "Pre-comment" and "Post-comment" above.

We hope this will meet the needs better than what we have had so far..

Beth Bryson
for the FieldWorks Dev Team

Ann Bush

May 26, 2016, 8:10:25 AM5/26/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

That’s something that will need to be done by the group in Dallas.  You will need to send the request along with the affected version you wish to convert to and the project ID to flex_errors.com.  After the project is reverted back to the earlier version, everyone using the project will need to delete the project from their machines and do a ‘Get Project from Colleague’ to get things synced back up.

Ann