tag particular sense as relevant for only one particular region

Michael Galant

Aug 8, 2016, 5:31:41 PM8/8/16
to FLEx list, George Aaron Broadwell, mikeg...@netzero.net
Does there exist a field, other than "restrictions", that can be used to indicate that a particular sense is only available in a particular region or variant of the language of the project?

Thanks,
Mike Galant

Beth-docs Bryson

Aug 8, 2016, 6:07:08 PM8/8/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
You could use the field "Usages" for that.  (You have to "Show Hidden Fields" first, and then look in the Sense area, near the end of the sense).  This is a list item field, so you would need to populate the Usages list in the Lists area with the names of the different regions you want as possible values for that field.

That isn't really what that field is for, but it is one possible use of it.

For the next version of FLEx (8.3.x), we are considering adding a "Dialect Label" field.  There would be one version at the sense level and another version at the entry level.  It will be a list-choice field, so you will need to populate a list with the possible values for this field.  When you make a reference to a word, if it has a Dialect Label, you would be able to make that show on the cross-reference.

We are still working out some of the details about how this will work, so I would be interested to hear from anyone who would use this function.

In the future, we hope to have a more extensive way of tagging nearly any piece of data in FLEx for the dialect, but that is some ways off in the future.  This field is intended as a stop-gap measure in the mean time.

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Jonathan Dailey

Aug 8, 2016, 6:19:53 PM8/8/16
to FLEx List
Depending on how you want to do it and your audience/situation there are a couple of other options.
Pronunciation fields include a location marker.
Variants could be used in this way.  Indicating that this variant is regionally used.

SIL International
Language Technology Consultant
Message has been deleted

steve_...@sil.org

Aug 10, 2016, 12:23:14 AM8/10/16
to FLEx list
Beth, I had a reply written out here about the Dialect Label idea, but I feel like I'm hijacking the thread. I'll reply via email.

Steve Miller

Aug 10, 2016, 1:04:38 AM8/10/16
to FLEx list
I saw the error of my ways and deleted the question from the forum.
Unfortunately it already went out to the email list. O_o

Steve

Jonathan Dailey