Line breaks between items in dictionary configuration

Hljodulfr

Feb 2, 2018, 12:29:32 PM2/2/18
to FLEx list
I'm looking for a way to do line breaks between items in my dictionary configuration.  There are the before, between, and after sections.  A while ago, I was able to paste a line break (U+2028) character and it would work.  Unfortunately it no longer works.  My dictionary has a lot of information and I use a number of lists and custom fields that when not broken up into individual lines, make for some very cluttered and hard to read blocks of text.  Has a new way been implemented to add line breaks?  I've been looking through the settings but haven't had any luck.

Beth-docs Bryson

Feb 2, 2018, 2:00:24 PM2/2/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Some items have the option to “Display in Paragraph”.  Be sure to look for that option first.

For other items, there are some Unicode characters that can be put in the Before/After.  It used to be that U+2028 (or Ctrl-Enter) would work, but I think that stopped working.  Recently people have been using 0A.

Here is some discussion from https://jira.sil.org/browse/LT-16934

Turns out there is a simple solution to this without any code changes. If you put \A in begin/end text it inserts a LF at that point which is what we want. Here is some information in what can be done with \ escape codes.

The spec definition for strings says that strings can either be written with double quotes or with single quotes. Double quotes cannot occur inside double quotes, unless escaped (e.g., as '\"' or as '\22'). The same goes for single quotes (e.g., "\'" or "\27"). A string cannot directly contain a newline. To include a newline in a string, use an escape sequence representing the line feed character (U+000A), such as "\A" or "\00000a". Newlines can also be represented as "\D \A " (CRLF), "\D " (i.e. \r in other languages), or "\C " (i.e. \f in other languages). It’s possible to break strings over several lines, for aesthetic or other reasons, but in such a case the newline itself has to be escaped with a backslash (). (from https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/css-escapes)

----

Hope this gives you some ideas.

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Message has been deleted

Hljodulfr

Feb 2, 2018, 3:08:35 PM2/2/18
to FLEx list
Using \A worked!  Thank you!!  It is doing exactly what I need :).