missing Ethnologue code?

Bethany Boston

Aug 15, 2017, 11:22:31 AM8/15/17
to FLEx list
I am working on a database for Kokak Naga (Myanmar) in FLEx, and synchronizing with WeSay.  When my coworker downloaded in WeSay for the first time, I discovered there is an issue with the writing system, since the lexical forms are not displaying in the main window, just on the side of the screen.  This took us back to the Configuration Tool, where I discovered the language was not set for Kokak Naga.  So I changed that, but it still wouldn't display the way I expected.  Which took us back to FLEx, where I discovered that the proper Ethnologue code (nxk) does not seem to exist in the program, so an unknown tag was being used.  However, I am using "nxk" in Language Depot and WeSay.  Does anyone know why this code might be missing, or why I am unable to find it?  I can force a solution by using some other writing system, but I'd prefer to use the same Ethnologue "nxk" code across all work if possible.
Thanks!
Bethany

Ken Zook

Aug 17, 2017, 11:58:29 AM8/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

WeSay and Flex have independent lists of valid codes, and may not be the exact same list. The critical part is not the surface name that is displayed for the language, but the internal code that is chosen. Neither Flex nor WeSay recognizes “Kokak Naga” as a registered language. So if you don’t pick anything else, we create a custom internal code, qaa-x-kok. I just tested this on FW8.3.9 and WeSay1.5.45, and both programs come out with this code. So in theory, both programs should work correctly with this, although you do have to make sure that the configuration for both programs uses this code for their main vernacular language.

Flex8.3.9 does not recognize nxk as a valid language code because our list of language codes is not up-to-date with the latest ethnologue codes, so you cannot create a writing system in Flex with nxk as the internal code. WeSay1.5.45 does recognize nxk (Naga, Koki) and allows you to create a writing system using that internal code. This is one of the inconsistencies we are trying to overcome in FW9. It’s a challenge keeping all software up-to-date with the most recent codes, but we are trying to improve on this. Although Flex cannot create a writing system with nxk as the internal code via the UI, it will work fine if it is created manually, or if you use the writing system created by WeSay.

If you have existing WeSay/Flex projects with mixed codes, I’d suggest you contact me offline and I can make them consistent.

Ken

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.