RE: [FLEx] Digest for flex-list@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

kristine Stenzel

Sep 27, 2017, 5:54:12 PM9/27/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kevin, Hi Andy -

Thanks for your messages and suggestions. Andy, I will look into the XLingPaper program a bit more, but would really prefer not to have to be dependent on a middle-man program in order to transfer and incorporate my analyzed data into my academic work. All I want is for it to be exported in a more manipulatable format.

Kevin, in response to your query, I actually work with three fields in Toolbox, a citation form (for dictionary-making purposes), a lexeme form, and an underlying form (both of these for purposes of linguistic analysis). For some morphemes, these all coincide, but often they do not, so I need all three because each has a specific function (for analysis and/or for dictionary making).

Using the underlying form as the lexeme form in Flex makes sense from the linguistic analysis viewpoint, and I realize that if I did that, the automatic interlinear function would work the way I want it to. The problem is that the underlying form is an abstract form that is not what is used in the practical orthography. So if I have a text written or transcribed by a speaker of the language using the practical orthography and import it into Flex to do the interlinear analysis, Flex is going to go look in the lexeme field to find correspondences for those orthographic forms, but it won’t recognize the underlying forms it finds as being the equivalents of the orthographic words the speaker would have written unless I can program it to do that. As it is now, in order for Flex to ‘recognize’ the lexemes, I would have to first ‘translate’ the orthographic representation into the corresponding underlying forms in the text.

This is exactly the situation which I could easily deal with in Toolbox by simply setting up the interlinear parsing paths to ‘look’ at the orthographic/lexeme form but ‘return’ the underlying form to my interlinear morpheme line. What I need to know is whether it is possible to program a different parse path in Flex that what is there automatically. I’m hoping there is a way to do this, because it looks like Flex has some other nice features that Toolbox didn’t have. But if I can’t find a way to do this, then I will have to stick with Toolbox.

Thanks again for your help – hope there’s a solution for this case, as I imagine I’m not the only person with such issues to deal with.

Best,

Kris

Sep 27, 2017, 5:58:57 PM9/27/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hmm… FLEx can export to xlingpaper, so no middle man required. I actually had a set of scripts once that allowed me to edit/check data in XLP, then re-import it to flex.

--
Kent Rasmussen
SIL Eastern Congo Group Linguistics Consultant / Conseiller en Linguistique de SIL au Congo de l'Est

Kim Blewett (gm)

Sep 27, 2017, 6:48:36 PM9/27/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

I think what is implied but not clearly stated, Kristine, is that you can use XLingPaper to create your academic work instead of Word. It does a beautiful job, if you take the time to learn it. It has been used to write & publish PhD theses, etc.

Kim Blewett
Language Tech Consultant
Papua New Guinea

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Kent Rasmussen

Sep 28, 2017, 7:18:06 AM9/28/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I thought Andy had already said that, but yes, that's what I assumed in my comment. I'm currently working on my dissertation in XLP, and it is a MUCH happier a process than my MA thesis, which I did in MS Word.

On 09/27/2017 05:48 PM, Kim Blewett (gm) wrote:

> I think what is implied but not clearly stated, Kristine, is that you can use XLingPaper to create your academic work instead of Word. It does a beautiful job, if you take the time to learn it. It has been used to write & publish PhD theses, etc.
>
> Kim Blewett
> Language Tech Consultant
> Papua New Guinea

Andy Black

Sep 28, 2017, 1:58:21 PM9/28/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com, kristine Stenzel
On 9/27/2017 2:54 PM, kristine Stenzel wrote:

Kevin, in response to your query, I actually work with three fields in Toolbox, a citation form (for dictionary-making purposes), a lexeme form, and an underlying form (both of these for purposes of linguistic analysis). For some morphemes, these all coincide, but often they do not, so I need all three because each has a specific function (for analysis and/or for dictionary making).

One possibility to consider is to add a second vernacular writing system (via Format menu items / Set up writing systems...) that you use for the underlying form.  You then do the following:

In a lexical entry:
  1. In the Lexeme Form field: Put the orthographic form in the basic writing system and put the underlying form in the second (new) writing system.
  2. In the Citation Form field: Put the citation form in the basic writing system.
  3. In your dictionary configuration (via Tools menu item / Configure / Dictionary), you can use the Headword item (in the basic writing system).  This uses what's in the Citation Form field unless that is empty.  Then it uses what is in the Lexeme Form field.

In the Interlinear Texts:
  1. Open up the  Tools menu item / Configure / Interlinear
  2. Add a Lex Entries item that uses the new writing system.
  3. Remove the other Lex Entries line.

I think you will now get what you want.

--Andy