Microsoft has delayed their Fall update

Paul Nelson

Sep 5, 2017, 9:04:14 AM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

The RS3 (RedStone3) branch that has the Windows 10 fix for which we have been waiting will not be released today. Microsoft has delayed their updated until October 17.

Unfortunately, that means we are stuck fighting the updates coming at us from Microsoft for another month.

Hang in their all!

Paul

Colin Suggett

Oct 12, 2017, 12:53:44 PM10/12/17
to Flexlist
Hi Paul,

I'm looking forward to this update next week, especially because I will happen to be in a zone which has better internet for just that week. It will be critical that I get the update during that week, otherwise, I'll have to wait 5 months until I return to Canada.

My question for you is this: will the update happen automatically to my Windows 10 machine on October 17th, or does Microsoft stagger updates over a course of time and so it is anyone's guess when I might expect it to occur on my machine? And if that is the case, is there anything I can do to force my machine to update during that critical week when I will have access to better internet?

Thanks

Colin

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Randy Regnier

Oct 12, 2017, 3:30:13 PM10/12/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

You can/should manually try to get the update by clicking the "Check for updates" button in the "Update & Security" section of your main "Settings", during the time you have that better internet connection. They do stagger the release in some manner, but I think clicking button that may move your computer way forward in the queue.

I know they announced such staggered roll outs of 'flights' (aka releases) in their Insider program, and I was able to get them right away by clicking that button. In the past day or two, Microsoft announced that anyone wanting to stick with that upcoming Fall Creator's Update (1709) that we had been getting early releases of, should get out of the Insider program right away. I bailed out of the Insider program on version 1709: 16299.15, so I'll be clicking that button next week to see if I can get anything new. ;-)

Randy Regnier

Paul Nelson

Oct 12, 2017, 4:27:22 PM10/12/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I don't know exactly how Microsoft will roll out this release. It should be widely available.

Paul

Colin Suggett

Randy Regnier

Oct 17, 2017, 9:40:34 AM10/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is due to be released at 10 a.m. U.S. Pacific time zone today (or 1700 UTC, if I did the math right). Get more details on its rollout here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/#GwKS3FLjkiFJ64wA.97

Point 2 on that page describes how to manually get and apply the update, if the "Check for Updates" option isn't working for you in that first rollout phase that page talks about. I also note that that page is still only offering the original "Creators Update" at the moment, since it is still 3 hours, and change, until it is 10 a.m. in California yet.

Randy Regnier

KevinC99

Oct 17, 2017, 5:11:20 PM10/17/17
to FLEx list
If you rely on Windows Update to get the Fall Creator's update, it could take several weeks or longer before you get it.

However, you can force the update by downloading tools from the Microsoft website here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can use the "Update now" link there to download a program that will upgrade your computer, or you can create installation media for use with other qualified computers by following the "Download tool now" link. The latter is recommended if you have many computers to update.

I did it today and can verify that Flex works.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Paul Nelson <paul_...@sil.org> wrote:
[...]

Paul Nelson

Oct 17, 2017, 5:51:15 PM10/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the great news.

Paul

Oct 17, 2017, 7:58:16 PM10/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
On 10/17/2017 4:35 PM, LSS PNG Office wrote:

> Thank you for this information.
>
> I am a little confused how this is supposed to work.
>
> When I open the file downloaded from the "Download tool now" link, it
> seems to be wanting to create an installer Windows 10.  Is that JUST
> the Fall Creators Update, or is it more?  The Microsoft blog
> (https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update)
> says, "you can download and run the Media Creation Tool on the same
> site, which will help you perform a clean installation or reinstall of
> Windows 10."
>
> The "clean install" or "reinstall" of Windows 10 is what is confusing me.

You can find out more about that "Create Windows 10 installation media"
option at this site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can expand the sections to get more info about it than you can at
that blog site, but it looks like a good fit for you all.

Randy

LR-LSS

Oct 18, 2017, 2:34:20 AM10/18/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, the only thing I can find about the "Create Windows 10 installation media" options says you can use it to "install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10", which is not what we want.

It might be easiest for us to just wait until it is deployed to our Windows 10 server here and then have users update locally.

Thanks,

James

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.

Kåre J. Strømme

Oct 18, 2017, 3:27:42 PM10/18/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

I just tried out the Download tool now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to download MediaCreationTool.exe. Then, running this file, I selected the option to create installation media for another PC. To make things as convenient as possible, I then chose the option USB flash drive when asked which media to use, and inserted a blank 8GB flash drive. The MediaCreationTool then downloaded the needed files, verified them, prepared the setup, and transferred it to the flash drive.

To update a computer with an existing Windows 10 installation, I then ran the setup.exe file on the flash drive. Simulating no Internet connection, I selected the Not right now option at the Get important updates screen. After accepting the license terms, I eventually got to the Ready to install screen. The default options selected here were Install Windows 10 Home and Keep personal files and apps. Accepting these default options and clicking the Install button performed the update. Using this method I first got version 1709 build 16299.15. After going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates to get the remaining updates, the Windows 10 installation updated to build 16299.19.

The USB stick made using the method above is also bootable and may be used to set up a new Windows 10 computer. So I would also recommend everybody to make a USB stick like that for backup purposes.

Kåre Strømme

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/9753a071-0fe4-52b3-1352-e52c47cc74b0%40sil.org.

You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Rik Shaw

Oct 19, 2017, 3:19:56 AM10/19/17
to flex-list googlegroups.com, lingtransoft googlegroups.com
I am on Linux but trying to download the "new" ISO that I will then put on a USB to support W10 users.  Following this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO I have started a download that is valid for 24 hours.  It has the filename: Win10_1709_English_x64.iso  Hopefully the network holds and the download will complete.  Also I *HOPE* it has the update the Windows users all need: indeed, not everyone I support are using Linux yet :-)

Thanks to Randy and Kåre for the help along the way.  Hope this works and I am not downloading a 4.5GB irrelevant file!

BTW, the process Kåre outlines of setting up the USB Installer and then using it on an existing W10 installation to "upgrade" by just manually launching the setup.exe on the USB from the running system seems similar to how you can do an "in-place upgrade" from W7 / W8 to W10.  So as noted this USB Installer can be used for clean installs (boot from the USB) or for in-place upgrades (launch setup.exe from a running system).

Rik

Sent from Nylas Mail, the best free email app for work

Randy Regnier

Oct 19, 2017, 10:40:00 AM10/19/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com, lingtr...@googlegroups.com
On 10/19/2017 12:19 AM, Rik Shaw wrote:

> <snip />  It has the filename: Win10_1709_English_x64.iso  Hopefully
> the network holds and the download will complete.  Also I *HOPE* it
> has the update the Windows users all need: indeed, not everyone I
> support are using Linux yet :-)

Rik,

I'd say it was a fairly safe bet, given that the file includes "1709",
which is the major version number for the Fall Creators Update. ;-)

For those with download challenges, one setting option to consider is in
"Delivery Optimization", where one can turn on "Allow Downloads from
other PCS", and then choose "PCs on my local network". That would
require one to get it the hard way, but the others on the local network
could then get it locally.

Randy Regnier

Rik Shaw

Oct 20, 2017, 3:24:34 AM10/20/17
to lingtransoft googlegroups.com, flex-list googlegroups.com, lingtransoft googlegroups.com
Randy or others,

I am not certain if it is the VM settings I am using or other, but I am getting an error when attempting to install using the ISO, indicating something to the effect of a "file is corrupt and install can't continue".  Does anyone know where I can find checksums for the ISOs downloaded?  I have read that the ISOs downloaded using the "MediaCreationTool" have different checksums that those downloaded directly.

Anyway, I am afraid my 4.5GB download is corrupt, but MS doesn't seem to make it easy to confirm or deny  :-(

Rik

Sent from Nylas Mail, the best free email app for work
On 10/19/2017 12:19 AM, Rik Shaw wrote:

> <snip />  It has the filename: Win10_1709_English_x64.iso  Hopefully
> the network holds and the download will complete.  Also I *HOPE* it
> has the update the Windows users all need: indeed, not everyone I
> support are using Linux yet :-)

Rik,

I'd say it was a fairly safe bet, given that the file includes "1709",
which is the major version number for the Fall Creators Update. ;-)

For those with download challenges, one setting option to consider is in
"Delivery Optimization", where one can turn on "Allow Downloads from
other PCS", and then choose "PCs on my local network". That would
require one to get it the hard way, but the others on the local network
could then get it locally.

Randy Regnier

gary persons

Oct 20, 2017, 4:31:46 AM10/20/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Have there been any indication of problems with this release? Is it safe to go ahead with the update (1709)?

Gary

Liz Pfeifer

Oct 20, 2017, 5:22:32 AM10/20/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Gary,

All reports I've seen indicate there's no problems and people are encouraged to install it as soon as possible.

Liz

On Oct 20, 2017 4:31 PM, "gary persons" <gary_p...@sil.org> wrote:

Have there been any indication of problems with this release? Is it safe to go ahead with the update (1709)?

Gary

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Kåre J. Strømme

Rik Shaw

Oct 20, 2017, 8:38:53 AM10/20/17
to flex-list googlegroups.com, lingtransoft googlegroups.com
I didn't use the MediaCreationTool to download (no Windows at home where I have been this week on holiday), but rather used the direct ISO download found on the MS website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

The file I have downloaded is 4,697,362,432 bytes.

It is W10 64bit English.  Using the above link there is no choice on which version: you only input language and 64 or 32 bit: it later gave me an option at install time in the VM to choose Home / Pro / Education / etc.... so maybe that is why it is bigger since it includes the different versions.  This should be a helpful ISO as I am supporting several users with different versions.   Next week we will see if it works :-)

Rik

Sent from Nylas Mail, the best free email app for work

Kåre J. Strømme

Oct 21, 2017, 2:40:00 AM10/21/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

I’m a bit puzzled here. When I click your link below, it automatically redirects to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, and from that site the only way to get an iso file, is by clicking the Download tool now button to first download MediaCreationTool.exe.

Roselle Dobbs

Oct 24, 2017, 1:53:50 AM10/24/17
to FLEx list
I upgraded using Windows 10 upgrade assistant, and Flex is now working great again. YAY!

Roselle

LSS Office (PNG)

Nov 7, 2017, 1:36:58 AM11/7/17
to FLEx list
Thank you for all the help with this.

Is it necessary to upgrade to build 16299.19?  We installed the main 1709 upgrade and are now running build 16299.15 on two different machines.  When we check for updates online (no either machine), it does not update to .19.

Thanks,

James

Kåre J. Strømme

Nov 8, 2017, 7:35:28 AM11/8/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

After I installed 1709 build 16299.15, it automatically updated to build 16299.19. But both Paratext and FLEx will run OK without the 16299.19 update.

Kåre

LR-LSS

Nov 10, 2017, 1:55:50 AM11/10/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com