Dictionary-Subentry paragraph style: indent not being applied?

Paul Unger

Apr 21, 2017, 10:38:17 AM4/21/17
to FLEx list
In the Hybrid layout of Configure Dictionary > Minor Subentries the 'Paragraph Style for Content' is set to 'Dictionary-Subentry'. Clicking the 'Styles' button, 'Paragraph' tab, I see that 'Indentation' is set to 0.74 cm on the 'Left'. The 'Preview' shows what I would like, that is, 'Dictionary-Subentry' indented on its own line below the Main entry.

So far, so good. The problem is, these settings don't seem to be applied to the Dictionary preview pane:

nor do they come through a Pathway export:

Is there something I'm missing?

Paul
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

Jonathan Dailey

Apr 21, 2017, 11:02:28 AM4/21/17
to FLEx List
I can't pull it up right now but there is a place to tell it to put the subentries as new paragraphs.

Paul

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

SIL International
Language Technology Consultant

Paul Unger

Apr 21, 2017, 1:29:20 PM4/21/17
to FLEx list
I'm looking forward to what you're able to pull up, Jonathan.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Paul Unger <pcun...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/66a745ab-12c3-47aa-b111-e2414a5dbf7f%40googlegroups.com.

Bruce Beatham

Apr 21, 2017, 2:24:27 PM4/21/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
After you select "Minor Subentries" in the feature tree on the left-hand side of the "Configure Dictionary" form, look in the right-hand column just below the list of complex form types for the option to "Display each Subentry in a paragraph":

Paul Unger

Apr 21, 2017, 2:30:50 PM4/21/17
to FLEx list
Thanks BruceB. That was already checked. Just to make sure I unchecked and rechecked it. No change... Any other ideas?

Allan Johnson

Apr 21, 2017, 2:58:16 PM4/21/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I see one possibility that might be worth checking. In the Hybrid layout I'm finding that "Minor Subentries" occurs in two different places - once under "Main Entry", and then a second time under "Main Entry (Complex Forms)". I don't know which of these applies to your current entry, but it would be good to check and see whether "Display each Subentry in a paragraph" is selected in both places.

Allan

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Bruce Beatham

Apr 21, 2017, 3:16:51 PM4/21/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
In your original example, does the entry of the complex form "ada-vaghini" list the entry of "adada" as one of its components, or is it linked to a specific sense of "adada" as one of its components?

The complex forms that I have linked to an entry behave as you are expecting, but the formatting for complex forms that are linked to a specific sense of another entry seem to be controlled under
Configure Dictionary > Hybrid etc > Main Entry > Senses > Other referenced complex forms.

When I enable that line to be displayed in each Sense, I see an option on the right-side to display each of those in a paragraph as well. In my config, the "Other referenced Complex Forms" are controlled by the same "Dictionary-Subentry" paragraph style that you described modifying earlier.
-Bruce
--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Paul Unger

Apr 21, 2017, 3:55:36 PM4/21/17
to FLEx list
Hi Allan,

I don't have "Main Entry (Complex Forms)" in Hybrid layout; just "Main Entry" and "Minor Entry (Variants)". I can only find one instance of "Minor Subentries".

Paul

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:24:27 AM UTC-7, BruceB wrote:
After you select "Minor Subentries" in the feature tree on the left-hand side of the "Configure Dictionary" form, look in the right-hand column just below the list of complex form types for the option to "Display each Subentry in a paragraph":

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Paul Unger

Apr 21, 2017, 4:01:24 PM4/21/17
to FLEx list
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I didn't have Main Entry > Senses > Other Referenced Complex Forms selected, so I knew it wasn't in there (it would have to be selected for the item to appear, and since the item was appearing and O.R.C.F wasn't selected it couldn't be controlling the item's behaviour). But just below O.R.C.F was another instance of "Minor Subentries" that was selected. And sure enough, "Display each Subentry in a paragraph" was not checked. I checked it, and everything came out as expected.

Thanks again,

Paul

Paul Unger

Apr 21, 2017, 4:11:51 PM4/21/17
to FLEx list
While this solved my issue, I now see that it's not the overall solution I was after... Entries with multiple senses got messed up with the 'Between' punctuation: as soon as a Minor Subentry was placed in its own paragraph, the next Sense also had to have its own paragraph, and the Between punctuation was applied before the second sense--not attractive at all! BUT, it looks like the developers thought through this scenario! Main Entry > Senses has three check boxes: 'If all senses share the grammatical information, show it first'; 'Display each sense in a paragraph'; and 'starting with second sense'. Check all three and marvel! :-)

Thanks, FLEx developers!