cawl list please

Martin Zaske

Apr 23, 2015, 4:30:42 AM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have noticed a special field for sil cawl in Flex and a brief inquiry
on the flex download site. There is no mention of cawl in the Flex help
and Google does not find much either (could be me).

I would like to obtain the list, please.

Then I would like to import the list into our existing Flex project
(many entries, many man-hours) without messing it up. I do not expect
any auto-magic merging, so for many basic entries (like goat and house
and moon) we might end up with dual entries.

Background: We are in the process of recruiting partners in Europe to
beef up our online dicco to "more languages" for the benefit of our
local users in Africa (read high-school children with smartphones). We
feel that each partner in Europe will be encouraged, by completing a
manageable list like the cawl, rather than being shell-shocked with our
full database at first contact.

New idea: Possibly the cawl does already exist somewhere with filled
fields for Swedish and Spanish and Italian. If that were the case, we
would also love to obtain those please. And we should (need to) learn
about merging such goodies semi-automagically into our existing main
(vernacular) database. (No, we are not crazy, some of the languages
mentioned above are being taught in schools where we are; and we know
about significant diaspora populations living within other language
environments.)

Thank you for any help about locating/obtaining, and for any help
concerning importing and possibly semi-auto-merging.

Martin

--
Martin Zaske; Birkeneck 15; 25479 Ellerau
(aktuelle Postanschrift jeweils auf Anfrage)

Robert Hedinger

Apr 23, 2015, 8:50:11 AM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Here is some information

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Robert

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Marlon Hovland

Apr 23, 2015, 9:30:45 AM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Martin, I’m sorry, but where in FLEx do you see the field related to CAWL? It is a custom field someone there added? Marlon

Steve Elliott

Apr 23, 2015, 10:39:30 AM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Martin ~~
We have done considerable (but in-progress) work with CAWL
which we got in ToolBox format.  Robert gave you good links​ . . .
Using the concept for developing COMAL, Comparative Online MesoAmerican List
of most basic 1500+ words, especially for Mayan languages
and Spanish (Guatemala rural 'dialect').
Having external data interact with FLEx is another challenge :)
~~ Steve
Stephen R Elliott

srEll...@Gmail.com
La Antigua Guatemala

Beth Bryson

Apr 23, 2015, 12:11:41 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Martin, I can't give you a full answer right now, but a couple more related bits of info:

- At one time, there was a FLEx project that had the CAWL list in it, and translations in at least Portuguese and Hausa (or some combination like that). I know that it did not have Swedish.

- I think someone in(?) Africa has that project, or that it is floating around somewhere. I could find the last version I had, but I'm pretty sure that John Doerksen or Heidi Rosendall did more with it after I passed it on.

- In WeSay you can find the CAWL list, as a basis for entering new vernacular words. But I think that doesn't so much tie in to what you are thinking of doing.

We could talk more off-list.

-Beth

Jeff Shrum

Apr 23, 2015, 12:32:23 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Beth, and Martin,

I had worked with John Hatton concerning getting the CAWL list into Wesay. I do believe it is still an available option in the configuration. Why not use Wesay with CAWL data entry mode enabled then import the Wesay data base into Flex. By the way, CAWL stands for Central Africa Word List. It was developed in West Africa originally. I was given a Blank Flex database with the CAWL list in it at a training event in Nairobi. I can look for that. I have another one that I have modified. There are differences in common plants and animals between West and East Africa. CAWL was a word list developed for word list comparisons between languages. Each entry has a number so as not to be confused by similar words when doing the comparisons.

Jeff Shrum
Language Technology Consultant
SIL Southern Africa.

Thanks, Jeff, I was wondering what the "cawl list" was!

Robert Hedinger

Apr 23, 2015, 5:24:29 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Actually, the CAWL is called   "SIL comparative African wordlist (SILCAWL)". See

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Martin Zaske

Apr 23, 2015, 5:34:50 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Marlon,

I see this field in Lexicon > Lexicon Edit (show hidden fields) looking under Sense, it is located at the very end of each sense under import residue and called SILCAWL.

I guess, that is where the reference numbers are meant to go....

hth

Martin

David Rowbory

Apr 23, 2015, 5:39:11 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I have a CAWL which we use at TCNN (Theological College of Northern Nigeria) as a template for some students doing fieldwork. It utilises (possibly incorrectly) a Source field giving the CAWL number,  English gloss, Hausa gloss (partial and maybe questionable in places) and quite possibly a part of speech. However, I have a suspicion that importing an SFM file might work better, but I haven’t tried this sort of thing recently. The key part will be trying to avoid unnecessary duplicates I guess. It must be said that the CAWL is primarily used here by us to elicit data useful for phonology and as a dictionary development tool it has serious semantic drawbacks.

I’m happy to pass on our template if it will be helpful. I forget where it came from but Matthew Harley seems a likely suspect.

Robert Hedinger <hedinge...@gmail.com>: Apr 23 01:50PM +0100

Here is some information
http://www-01.sil.org/silewp/abstract.asp?ref=2006-005
http://www-01.sil.org/silewp/2006/silewp2006-005.pdf

Marlon Hovland <marlon_...@sil.org>: Apr 23 08:30AM -0500

.
Steve Elliott <srell...@gmail.com>: Apr 23 08:39AM -0600

Beth Bryson <beth-doc...@sil.org>: Apr 23 11:12AM -0500

On Apr 23, 2015, at 3:30 AM, Martin Zaske wrote:

Jeff Shrum <jeff_...@sil.org>: Apr 23 11:32AM -0500

[...]

David Rowbory (currently in Nigeria)
Bible Translation Consultant in Training, Nigeria

Martin Zaske

Apr 23, 2015, 5:49:48 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,

thank you all for information and links etc concerning CAWL.

I have obtained a very well done list from Jeff Shrum (thank you very
much), and it opens very nicely in my most recent Flex.

My best idea so far is to...

... export this CAW list project in LIFT format

... open our own project and import this LIFT file

... should then have plenty new entries with blank headwords but
precious CAWL information

... will sort by French glosses and will hopefully find many "related"
items listed underneath each other

... will then manually select the new entries (which carry the CAWL
data, ie the reference number and the Spanish and Hausa etc glosses)

... and will manually trigger a "merge into" for each new entry

We are talking about manually selecting and then merging about 1700 entries.

Anybody has any better ideas or bulk strategies or macros...???

greetings, and thanks so far,

Martin

Steve Elliott

Apr 23, 2015, 6:02:20 PM4/23/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
We had fun triangulating between English-Spanish glossary
and the English-CAWL# to 'automatically' get the Spanish-CAWL#.
Then again from Spanish-MayaIxil glossary to get MayaIxil-CAWL#.
At least a workable better-than-manual approximation,
then discarding Africa-only words and adding pan-MesoAmerican.

Now on to even more fun of turning larger ETIC grid into Maya EMICs.
Anyone with experience doing this ~ let's chat about methodology.

~~ Steve
Stephen R Elliott

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Hugh Paterson

Apr 24, 2015, 2:28:06 PM4/24/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
@Steve Elliott,

I am confused why you would delete un-used CAWL entries. I am assuming that the reason one would want them in the first place is to match data from MayaIxil to lexical elements in a grid/dataset which contains lexical items from other CAWL users. In thinking about wide/large distributed data sets, it seems that N/A as a data point connected to a CAWL entry is more appropriate than the absence of a datapoint for a given CAWL entry. With N/A as a datapoint a third party would know that the relationship between the CAWL element and the investigated language was previously considered and deemed to not exist. However, the same assumption can not be made with the simple absence of a datapoint.

- Hugh

Steve Elliott

Apr 25, 2015, 11:34:26 AM4/25/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, @Hugh Paterson ~~

I quite agree that if our purpose were just to compare Mayan with African basic vocabulary,
we might want to ask whether Maya have words for things that never existed here,
and would want to mark N/A (and not just NULL) on CAWL.
Of course nothing we do 'deletes' anything from the CAWL itself . . .

But we are trying to take the concept & purpose & model of the CAWL.
CAWL has
​(we understand) ​
been a good tool for AFRICA
​​;
we want COMAL to be a relevant, similar tool across MesoAmerican languages.
​Universal comparative lexicographers could then have data for their purposes.​
(​Turn it about, and wonder if we should then ask African linguists to ​also use COMAL. :)
​​
ETIC grids can be wonderful cross-cultural starting points, but our goal is EMIC
​!
​(Our original interest in CAWL was to associate DDP-4 numbers to basic vocabulary vía English to Spanish to MayaIxil.)

Since these CAWL issues were raised in the FLEx context,
suffice it to say that we would simply not have Mayan entries
with N/A CAWL fields :)​

​I will, however, add to our online lexical data a separate list of unused CAWL words,
as this will also serve to re-check what's in CAWL but not in COMAL (and vice-versa :)

​Thanks, Hugh,
~~ Steve
Stephen R Elliott

Cameron and Valerie Hamm

Apr 25, 2015, 4:52:17 PM4/25/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Has anyone seen Comparalex.org?  It can be used to collate standard word lists for comparative purposes.

Cam

Apr 25, 2015, 5:13:52 PM4/25/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, @Cam ~~
Very interesting CanIL project !
Will be interesting to see how interested they are in non-African data,
and coordination with current Ethnologue :)
~~ Steve
Stephen R Elliott