Missing trailing space

Iris Rieder

Apr 17, 2017, 8:46:08 AM4/17/17
to FLEx list
Hello,

I don't know how and why, but suddenly trailing spaces got lost between Lexeme form and Grammatical Info. It happened for all entries regardless which kind of Lexeme form or Grammatical Info.
Does somebody know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance
Iris
Flex_1_LI.jpg
Flex_2.png

Paul Unger

Apr 17, 2017, 11:15:56 AM4/17/17
to FLEx list
Hi Iris,

I don't know why it would have happened suddenly, but the first place you want to check is in Tools > Configure > Dictionary... That's were 'layout' stuff is handled. [Alternately, in the Dictionary Preview pane (where you underlined in red in Flex_1_LI.jpg) you can right-click on the element you want to see in Configure Dictionary.] Once you're there, have a look at what's in the "Before: | Between: | After:" fields. Spaces show up as a raised dot. You have two options: add a space After Headword or Before Category Info. (Main Entry > Senses > Grammatical Info. > Category Info.). I would go with the 'before' option, because then the space only applies if the item to be spaced is present; if you go with 'after', the space will be there even if nothing follows.

I don't know what version you're running, but in 8.3.7 my "Category Info." is spaced from (in my case) "Pronunciation" with no spaces evident in "Before:" Category Info. or "After:" Pronunciation. I confess, I don't know how that works...

For what it's worth,

Paul

Iris Rieder

Apr 17, 2017, 11:27:21 AM4/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

thank you very much, it worked.

Iris

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Beth-docs Bryson

Apr 17, 2017, 6:09:31 PM4/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Paul-

Neither the Before nor After space should show if the item they are on does not have content.

In previous versions of FLEx, the default was to have an “After” space on everything (rather than Before), but for FW 8.3.7 I changed it so the default is to have a “Before” space.  The rationale is that sometimes we want a mark after a group of items (such as a comma or period or closing parenthesis).  If the last item before that closing punctuation has a space, that would look odd.

However, often people want the Headword separated from other material by two spaces.  So I kept the After space on Headword. Also, there are a number other things that are often displayed with the Headword.  So for the items that might be part of a “Headword group”, there is still an After space but no Before.  Then for the first item after it, that is where I started the “Before” spacing.  Thus, the last item in the "Headword group" contributes an After space, and the next item contributes a Before, so there end up being two spaces between the “Headword group” and whatever comes next.

There are also a few other places where things needed to be spaced out more, so the parent of one of these groups might have an After space, in addition to the Before space of the next group.

Anyway, as you note, there are plenty of ways to adjust things.  What I describe above is just the default, but users can change it however they want, and we hope it allows people to do what they need to do.

-Beth