Preventing a minor entry from being created.

Rik De Busser

Jun 19, 2017, 5:05:58 AM6/19/17
to FLEx list
In the latest version of FLEx, I've noticed that dictionary entries automatically becomes minor entries whenever I enter any of its components. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Alternatively, how can you transform a minor entry back into a main entry. Just unchecking the 'minor entry' tickbox does not bring the full description of the lemma back in the preview pane.

Andreas_Joswig

Jun 19, 2017, 6:08:16 AM6/19/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
This would require you to check 'stem-based dictionary' in the dictionary configuration. Minor entries only appear in a root-based dictionary. A stem based dictionary treats all entries the same, and does not have anything that looks like a minor entry.
Andreas

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Beth-docs Bryson

Jun 19, 2017, 3:06:00 PM6/19/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Actually, there are several factors:

 - The difference between “minor entry” and “main entry” is really a formatting distinction, at least in FLEx.
 - In FLEx, there are two kinds of entries that can be displayed as minor entries:  variants, and complex forms.  (These are in contrast to “main entries”, that could also be called:  non-complex, atomic, regular, simple, etc.)
 - Yes, it is true that as soon as you specify the components of an entry, it is now considered a “complex form”, rather than the most basic kind of “main entry”.
 - As Andreas noted, there are different defaults for how those complex forms display in the formatted dictionary:
     - In Root Based format, complex forms appear as both a subentry under their component(s), and as a minor entry (so a user can find them alphabetically by the whole word, rather than just the root/component).  However, you can choose to not display some or all of these minor entry representations of these words, either by turning off all minor entries, or unchecking the box for “Show as Minor Entry” in only some entries.
     - In Lexeme Based format (formerly called stem-based), complex forms are treated the same as regular entries.  They get a full entry formatted the same as non-complex (main) entries.
     - In Hybrid format, you get “some of each”.  That is, the complex form can show up under the component as a subentry, but it has minimal information, so we call that a “Minor Subentry”.  (Again, “minor” is about the formatting.)  And it also shows up as a full entry, alphabetized by the whole word.
    - All of these views are fully configurable as to what shows in each kind of entry, so you could in fact make Minor Entries display all the fields of the entry (but then it wouldn’t look much like a minor entry), or you could make a full entry display only minimal fields.  The point is, it is a continuum—you can add and subtract from all the different formats.

All three views (Root Based, Stem Based, and Hybrid) use the minor entry format to display variants.  But again, you can configure these “minor entries” to display more or fewer of the fields in those entries.

-Beth

Rik De Busser

Jun 20, 2017, 11:04:25 PM6/20/17
to FLEx list
Thanks for the helpful answers.

Just in case this happens to anybody else: It turns out that when I moved my database to another computer, FLEx thought something was wrong with the configuration file, and reset the personalized configuration of the database. This switched the view from lexeme-based to root-based.

Carin Boone

Jul 12, 2017, 11:49:05 AM7/12/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Could anyone explain to me how it can be that the pop-up menu for lexical relations is different from what is listed under 'Lists'?
Here is a screenshot of the pop-up menu:

Here is one from the Lists tab:

I want to insert a Compare relation, but I'm unable to since it's not in the pop-up menu.
When I want to delete the compare relation from the list and make a new one, it tells me that there are 16 words which use this lexical relation. I remember putting them in and I do not want to lose them.
But the other strange thing is, that when I sort for lexical relations in Lexicon edit, all I see is a number of synonyme relations and 2 specific/generic relations.
All filters are turned off.
Who can explain to me what happens and do you have some advice on how I might be able to insert compare relations?

Thanks,

Carin.

Jeff Shrum

Jul 12, 2017, 11:52:46 AM7/12/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Could be because there is already a compare relation at the entry level.  I don’t think FLEx will allow you to have the same relation at the entry and sense level.

Jeff Shrum

SIL International

Language Technology Consultant

Dallas, TX USA