Win10 Creators Update is downloading now even though I postponed it

chas

Jul 28, 2017, 8:03:28 AM7/28/17
to FLEx list

A couple of months ago, I opted to defer “feature updates” on our two Windows 10 machines, so both have remained at version 1607 (Anniversary Update) while continuing to receive critical security patches.

Today, I saw that a “Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703” was downloading on both machines, so I guess the deferment has expired. You’ll remember that version 1703 is the dreaded Creators Update that poses a problem for FLEx and Paratext.

I quickly made a system restore point for both systems in hopes that I’ll be able to return to v. 1607 after the update is completed.

Once we’ve identified this specific update, I think there’s a way to block it, which I plan to do.

chas

Jul 28, 2017, 9:34:21 AM7/28/17
to FLEx list
I let the update complete and then immediately reverted to the previous version. I don't expect the "defer updates" option will extend the postponement of update, so, for now, I'm setting my Internet connection to "metered" in hopes that that will prevent updates. I know that will leave me open to security threats, but I don't see another option right now.

Mike Maxwell

Jul 28, 2017, 12:09:32 PM7/28/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com, chas
Same here, I had deferred the update, but it installed anyway. And
there's no option on my computer to revert to the previous version, even
though 1703 installed just last night.

On 7/28/2017 8:03 AM, chas wrote:

> A couple of months ago, I opted to defer “feature updates” on our two
> Windows 10 machines, so both have remained at version 1607 (Anniversary
> Update) while continuing to receive critical security patches.
>
> Today <http://airmail.calendar/2017-07-28%2012:00:00%20GMT+1>, I saw
> that a “Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703” was downloading on
> both machines, so I guess the deferment has expired. You’ll remember
> that version 1703 is the dreaded Creators Update that poses a problem
> for FLEx and Paratext.
>
> I quickly made a system restore point for both systems in hopes that
> I’ll be able to return to v. 1607 after the update is completed.
>
> Once we’ve identified this specific update, I think there’s a way to
> block it, which I plan to do.
>
> --
> You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
> Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
> To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
> You can join this group by going to
> http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
> ---
> Groups "FLEx list" group.
> an email to flex-list+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:flex-list+...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:flex...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/1eed7091-635e-47ad-947e-b8e5f9231d4a%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/1eed7091-635e-47ad-947e-b8e5f9231d4a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike Maxwell
"My definition of an interesting universe is
one that has the capacity to study itself."
--Stephen Eastmond

chas

Jul 28, 2017, 12:38:40 PM7/28/17
to FLEx list, cha...@gmail.com
So sorry, Mike. I feel your pain. Do you have a current system restore point, or do you prefer not to use that?

Kåre J. Strømme

Jul 29, 2017, 6:38:45 AM7/29/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Instead of fighting this apparently losing battle with Microsoft, why not join them instead by signing up for their Insider Program. The 16241.1001 build that I got that way works great both with FLEx and Paratext. Although I haven’t tried the current 16251 build, I assume that that also solves the problems with the Creators Update.

Kåre Strømme

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/74ddc9e4-9972-4f87-b0af-c2511164c430%40googlegroups.com.

chas

Jul 29, 2017, 6:48:40 AM7/29/17
to FLEx list
@Kåre Strømme: I've been running Insider Preview builds on a test machine for several months in hopes that a fix would appear. FLEx does appear to behave properly on build 16251, but I haven't thoroughly tested it, nor have I thoroughly test Paratext. Regardless, I'm reluctant to move my primary machine to a preview release and am even more reluctant to recommend that co-workers do so. That's why for now I'm playing dodgeball with the Windows Update service.

Randy Regnier

Jul 29, 2017, 10:40:03 AM7/29/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
The main reason to not do that is that not long ago MS had an 'escapee' release that got out before it was ready. I managed to dodge that bullet on my test machine by leaving it turned off, but I hear it killed off the phones that got it. The Insider program is a 'test pilot' environment, so one ought not get into it lightly.

On my test machine, I let it run up to the latest release, the day it comes out. MS tries to release one each week, but sometimes one is delayed several days, so it may be more like 10 days between releases.

That 16251.0 (note that ".0") is a major point in the Insider program, because MS has branched that development track into one that aims to become the Fall Creators release, and one that will be whatever the next big release will be (they call it RS4). The reason that ".0" is important on that 16252.9 version, is that the next one in that "Skip Ahead" (RS4) option is 16251.1000. The default for Insider Fast Ring folks is the 'safer' branch of the two.

Randy Regnier

Sent from my iPad

David Rowbory

Jul 30, 2017, 4:10:52 AM7/30/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
For those with a Windows machine in a Virtual Machine, here’s a handy tip to set the virtual network (which most likely is showing up as ethernet) as metered and hopefully avoid troublesome updates. Requires regedit. Use with caution.

David

Mike Maxwell

Jul 31, 2017, 2:06:35 PM7/31/17
On 7/28/2017 9:34 AM, chas wrote:
> I let the update complete and then immediately reverted to the previous
> version.
I responded to this thread several days ago, saying that after the
creators update, I was not offered the opportunity to revert to the
pre-creators version. (I can't find my email now, or I'd reply to
myself.) It turns out that you only see the possibility of reverting
when you're in an administrator account. Since I normally run a
non-admin account (for security reasons), and since unlike all other
applications in Windows, you are not offered the possibility of running
the "Settings" app (which is where the reversion would be done) as
Administrator, I wasn't seeing the reversion option. I therefore had to
log in to Windows as Administrator before it would show me this. I did
so, and have now reverted.

This of course makes sense, reverting to a previous version of Windows
is something you ought to do from an Admin account.

At any rate, I'm documenting this here in case others run into the same
problem.