Best practices for a user with two computers

chas

Oct 18, 2016, 10:23:51 AM10/18/16
to FLEx list
I'm looking for the best way to work on a FLEx project on my laptop as well as on my desktop.

I'm already collaborating with one other remote user via Language Depot using Send-Receive, which works fine.

Should I create another user on Language Depot for my laptop and use Send-Receive to keep my desktop and laptop in sync?

Twice now I've made the mistake of making some changes on my laptop and forgetting that I can't just back up the database and restore it on my desktop.

Forgive me if this is explicitly addressed in the docs or on this group. If so, I missed it.

Thanks!

-C. Law

Randy Regnier

Oct 18, 2016, 10:29:47 AM10/18/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
On 10/18/2016 7:23 AM, chas wrote:

> I'm looking for the best way to work on a FLEx project on my laptop as
> well as on my desktop.

You can use S/R via Language Depot, but you can also use a USB drive for
S/R, which you use to share changes between your own two computers. That
is, you can 'mix and match' S/R using any combination of: 1) Language
Depot, 2) a USB drive, and 3) a local network using Chorus Hub.

Randy Regnier

chas

Oct 18, 2016, 10:33:00 AM10/18/16
to FLEx list
Duh. Thank you, Randy. I now see "USB Flash Drive" staring me in the face when I click on S/R.

I'm  glad I asked, and I'm equally glad you answered.

-Charlie

Jonathan Dailey

Oct 18, 2016, 10:40:27 AM10/18/16
to FLEx List
You can also use the same LD signon on multiple machines.  LD is smart and knows the difference.

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

SIL International
Language Technology Consultant

Randy Regnier

Oct 18, 2016, 10:45:04 AM10/18/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

You need to delete the project from the non S/R machine and then do the "Get Project" menu option to get it from the source (Language Depot, USB, or ChorusHub). It won't work, as you might think if it s still present, since that second machine will want to create a new S/R project, and even though you know them to be the same, S/R won't know it.

Randy Regnier

Bruce Beatham

Oct 18, 2016, 10:45:46 AM10/18/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I have found it helpful to change the value in the field "Name to show in change history" at the top of the S/R settings box to something unique to each machine (eg. something like "Bruce-Desktop" and "Bruce-Laptop"). That way if I see a conflict between something that I changed working by myself at the desktop vs. in the field with my laptop I have a better idea of which one to keep.

-Bruce
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flex-list+...@googlegroups.com.

chas

Oct 18, 2016, 11:06:57 AM10/18/16
to FLEx list
Thanks, Randy, Bruce and Jonathan. I see that it works as advertised.

I'll follow all your suggestions so that I don't wind up with one foot on the dock and another in the canoe.

-Charlie L.