Affix template for variants

Daniel Wild

May 28, 2016, 9:00:11 PM5/28/16
to FLEx list
I created variables for ergatives. (They are irregular noun forms).

I would like to create an affix template for them, since they have their own sets of suffixes.

How can I do that?

Daniel

Leaders, Marlin

May 30, 2016, 2:51:15 PM5/30/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Daniel, here are some steps:

Insert Affix template chart in Grammar

The affix template builds a morphology grammar and helps the parser predict affixation. You should use the Inflectional Gloss builder to gloss each inflectional morpheme when creating a Lexical entry for Inflectional affixes. Note: If you cannot determine yet whether the affix is inflectional or derivational, you  may leave the Affix Type as Not sure, and set the Attaches to Category when known.

1.      If all verb sub-categories (for example, intransitive, transitive, and ditransitive) have similar inflectional templates, then you only need to create those templates under the higher level Verb and not under all the sub-categories, too.

2.      If you have a derivational affix that attaches to any kind of verb and results in a noun, then you only have to map the from-category to verb.  You do not have to have separate mappings for each of the verb sub-categories.

3.      If you have a compound rule whose left stem, say, can be any kind of verb, then all you have to say is that the left member's category is verb.  You do not have to write separate compound rules for each sub-category.

4.      If you have declension or conjugation classes (what we're calling inflection classes) and they apply for all types of verbs,  then you can define them at the top verb level and use them for any verb sub-category.  You do not have to repeat them for all the sub-categories.

5.      In Grammar section Category Edit, click on desired category in middle pane, then click on Affix Templates and Insert Affix templates.

6.      Type in a name for the template (like, Noun inflection chart), and a description.

7.      Click on STEM and the blue drop-down button and choose Insert Slot Before/ After STEM, choosing one of the blue Add an optional or obligatory slot.

8.      Click on the Affix slots Slot name field and type in an appropriate name for the slot (like Subj. Agreement, or Person-Number).

9.      Click on the blue button beside the slot name and Add inflectional morpheme and select the appropriate affix for this slot.

Add inflectional morpheme to Affix Template

To make your parser work optimally, you should add all inflectional affixes appropriate to a Grammar category.

1.      In Grammar Category Edit Affix template Table field, click on the blue dot next to a slot in the table.

2.      Select Add inflectional morpheme to Slot.

Exclude abstract Lexeme from Parser consideration

1.      Under a Lexeme Form check the box Is Abstract Form to exclude that lexeme from the Parser considering it.

Insert another slot in Affix Template

1.      In Grammar Category Edit Affix template Table field, click on the blue dot next to a slot in the table.

2.      Select whether to Insert Slot Before/ After.

Remove slot from Affix Template

1.      In Grammar Category Edit Affix template Table field, click on the blue dot next to a slot in the table.

2.      Select Remove Slot.

Change optionality of slot in Affix Template

1.      In Grammar Category Edit Affix template Table field, click on the blue dot next to a slot in the table.

2.      Select Change Optionality of Slot.

Marlin

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

maxwell

May 30, 2016, 6:23:18 PM5/30/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I have a question about the grammatical analysis. As this is not really
a FLEx question, feel free to take the discussion off-line.

> I created variables for ergatives. (They are irregular noun forms).

What do you mean when you say that ergatives are irregular noun forms?
That nouns which take ergative case marking are (always?) irregular? Or
that verbs which take ergative agreement must be nominalized before they
can take an ergative agreement suffix, and that this nominalization
makes them irregular (or the nominalizations are themselves formed
irregularly)?
--
Mike Maxwell
max...@umiacs.umd.edu

Daniel Wild

Jun 2, 2016, 4:49:38 PM6/2/16
to FLEx list
Marlin,
Thank you for your answer. I had made up several templates using the steps you described.
However, the variant forms I had created simply do not show up, when I try to write a template for them.
These variants are in the 'lists' section under 'variant types', 'Irregularly Inflected Form'.

For example: "dupe" is a 'machete'. The ergative form is "nũpe".
Now: "big machete" is "nũpewã", The suffix "-wã" (augmentative) always affixes to the ergative form. The same occurs with several other suffixes.

So, how can I create a template just for these variants?

Leaders, Marlin

Jun 2, 2016, 7:36:53 PM6/2/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Daniel,

I'm a little confused as to what you are looking to show up in the Inflectional Affix template table. The example you give looks regular. One could analyze "upe" as the bound root since it is a repeating morpheme, and "d-" as the absolutive form, and the ergative case be the "n-". A phonemic rule could add the nasalized vowel after a nasal. Or "pe" be the bound root, and "du-" and "nũ-" as the case marking prefixes. If so, you would then have to add an entry for each of the case marker prefixes, d- and n- identified as inflectional affixes.

You could also check at the bottom of each "missing" affix entry to check the Category Info Details. Click Category Info field. At the far right an ellipsis box should appear. Click it to see if the 3 drop-down boxes are identified properly. Make sure each slot in the affix templates has a name and an abbreviation. As well, check the Lists- Variant types to make they have both an Abbreviation and a Reverse Abbreviation.

If you are treating "nũpe" on the whole as an irregular noun form of "dupe" then it won't show up because nũpe would be a root or stem morph type, not an inflectional affix.

The suffix "-wã" (augmentative) could be a derivational affix. If you have identified it as derivational, then it won't show up because it is not an inflectional affix.

If you are trying to get one of the Parsers to work, that is an additional issue. That is more complex. One I am not proficient at.

I've never heard of irregular noun forms for every ergative noun. There would be thousands of nouns. Could you provide some more examples, please? Or, do you have noun classes?

If I might ask, what language are you working with, and where, if you can mention that?

Thanks,

Daniel Wild

Jun 3, 2016, 11:08:40 AM6/3/16
to FLEx list
Hi, Marlin,
Actually, I had imported my data from toolbox. There, I had tackled these ergative forms in the \a and \u fields. There are 20 different ergative markers, which have other uses as well.

So, after importing  and parsing the texts, I update the lexicon and grammar templates as I go along and re-interlinearize, to take care of wrong parse guesses.

So, every time, I come across a ergative form, I select Variant of' on the 'Lex. Entries' line. Since it is flex-internal, I thought I could continue to process these forms in a template.

So, is there another way to tackle the problem? Each noun, nominal suffix, adjective, or verbal nominalizer has just one of these ergative suffixes, or nasalized forms, as occurs with "dupe/nũpe". There are even some zero forms, like "pashta" 'dog', where the ergative form is exactly the same.

Thanks for your help.
Daniel