Saving filters

Jeff Heath

Mar 20, 2018, 9:49:20 AM3/20/18
to FLEx list
I saw a couple of references to saving filters in other threads, but thought it deserved to have its own thread. There doesn't currently seem to be a way in FLEx to save a complex filter other than, for example, copying and pasting a complex Regular Expression into an external text file, to be copied and pasted back in later. Is that correct? If so, is that a feature that has been considered for adding to FLEx? I know a couple of people who would be quite interested.

Ann Bush

Mar 20, 2018, 11:32:07 AM3/20/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com

There is an issue for a list of the last 9 regular expressions to be available and editable.  That hasn’t been done yet.

There is also a request to return to the last filter that was used even if other work was done in the interim.  That hasn’t been done either.

Ann

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Dennis Walters

Mar 21, 2018, 11:14:35 PM3/21/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ann

I would vote for the feature request of being able to save filters. By writing on this thread, have I now voted? Or is there another mechanism?

Dennis

Bethany Boston

Mar 23, 2018, 2:55:02 PM3/23/18
to FLEx list
I agree! I also would vote for a feature that allowed for saving filters. That would be much simpler for me than trying to remember where I copied and pasted that regular expression that I finally got to work last time I used it several months ago....  I suppose I could be more organized too. =) But having it built into the program where I use the filters would be much better.

Further, I have mentioned before that I would like to see the filter options in FLEx be more user-friendly in general. It surprises me how much easier it is for me to do some types of filtering of linguistic data in Excel than in FLEx. I know if I learned all the ins and out of regular expressions, I could do just about anything, but couldn't we have a few more simple button choices that would help those who aren't as proficient in regex? And one more feature about filtering...it would really help if the filter would automatically recognize digraphs as different characters, rather than my having to create a complex regex search every time I work with a language with digraphs (which is most languages it seems). I know FLEx can alphabetize treating digraphs as unique if I enter that information in the writing systems. Can the filters do the same?

Bethany