Release candidate for FieldWorks 8.3

Beth-docs Bryson

Apr 6, 2017, 4:30:09 PM4/6/17
to lingtr...@googlegroups.com, flex...@googlegroups.com, flex-o...@googlegroups.com, Linux User

We are happy to announce the Release Candidate for FieldWorks 8.3.  This version (FieldWorks 8.3.7) includes all the features that we plan for FieldWorks 8.3.x and most of the bugfixes.  We consider this version ready for “real work”, though the actual release version will be coming shortly.  It is more stable than FieldWorks 8.2.9, and it has a lot more power when it comes to formatting a dictionary.  We encourage everyone to upgrade at this time.

For full details about this version, please visit

http://software.sil.org/fieldworks/release-notes/

Please note:  the feature that allows interaction between FieldWorks and Paratext works with Paratext 7.5 or 7.6.  We do not yet have the ability for FieldWorks and Paratext 8 to interact in the same way.

The Windows version of FieldWorks 8.3.7 RC2 can be downloaded from:

http://software.sil.org/fieldworks/download/fw-837/

The Linux version is available for Xenial and Trusty in the experimental section of the packages.sil.org repository. For installation instructions, see http://packages.sil.org/ under "Install Beta SIL software".

If users find showstopper bugs in this release candidate, we will try to incorporate fixes into the release version.  But we are very near that release, so please try this out and send feedback to FLEx_...@sil.org

Beth Bryson

for the FieldWorks development team