Complete Reversals in FLEx and publication

Mayank Jain

Nov 6, 2015, 5:24:31 PM11/6/15
to FLEx list
Reverasals: I am in touch with some of my colleagues who are using FLEx for various languages. One common query from them is about comprehensive reversals in FLEx. For instance they prefer to have a dictionary with English gloss as headword with informations about vernacular following it. Is it possible to do it? Can pictures and sounds be added to reversal entries (the same picture and sound which are added to their vernacular equivalent).

Publication: The second query is regarding publication. Is there any help in formatting publication of the dictionary? Can we change the sequencing of fields both in the main vernacular-analysis language dictionary and analysis language to vernacular reversals.

Beth Bryson

Nov 7, 2015, 11:45:47 AM11/7/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Just briefly, have you discovered the command:  Tools > Configure > Dictionary?   This is available when you are in the Lexicon area, in a view that is looking at the main dictionary.  If you are in the Lexicon area and looking at the Reversal Index, then there is a similar command available:  Tools > Configure > Reversal Index.

With each of these dialogs, you are able to:

 - Indicate which fields should show or not.
 - Indicate which writing systems should show for each field.
 - Adjust the order of the fields.
 - Adjust the styles (including color) of each writing system and each field.
 - Add material that is to display before and after each field (for instance, put parentheses around something, or end something with a period for all fields).

There are also help topics about these features.

Please note that the best way to output any dictionary output is using the separate tool Pathway.  It can be downloaded from http://pathway.sil.org.  Once you have installed it, there are additional options available within FLEx that relate to that.

Please experiment with these and see if you are able to find what you need.  If you have further questions, do write again!

Beth Bryson
for the FW development team

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Mayank Jain

Nov 7, 2015, 12:07:13 PM11/7/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Beth for the information. I have seen the option : tools > configure> dictionary, but I have not experimented with it. I will try to explore it and let you know of any issues.

Thanks
Mayank

Best,
Mayank
Research Scholar
Centre for Linguistics,
School of Language, Literature and Cultural Studies,
Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi, India