problem installing FLEx in Linux (wasta)

Paul Unger

Oct 6, 2016, 12:58:18 PM10/6/16
to FLEx list
I just tried installing FLEx in wasta Linux with Synaptic and got this error:

     E: flexbridge: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 9

With help from wasta developers I tried running <sudo apt-get install --reinstall flexbridge> which gave me:
***********************
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 libclamav6 libjim0.75
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
E: Internal Error, No file name for flexbridge:i386
***********************

Since it complained, and on wasta people's advice, I ran <sudo apt-get purge flexbridge> and got:
***********************
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  chmsee fieldworks-enc-converters geckofx29 gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
  gtk-sharp2-sil libchm1 libclamav6 libgdiplus-sil libhunspell-dev libjim0.75
  libmono-relaxng2.0-cil libmono-system-data-linq4.0-
cil
  libmono-system-serviceprocess4.0-cil libsilcc0 libsqlite0 mono-basic-sil
  mono-sil sqlite xsltproc xulrunner-geckofx29
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fieldworks* fieldworks-applications* flexbridge*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 290 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 224336 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fieldworks (8.2.8+trusty1) ...
Removing fieldworks-applications (8.2.8+trusty1) ...
Purging configuration files for fieldworks-applications (8.2.8+trusty1) ...
Removing flexbridge (2.3.13+trusty1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
***********************

That looked OK, so I followed up with <sudo apt-get install flexbridge> and got:
***********************
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 libclamav6 libjim0.75
  fieldworks-applications
Suggested packages:
  fieldworks
  fieldworks-applications flexbridge
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/103 MB of archives.
After this operation, 290 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package flexbridge.
(Reading database ... 221764 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../flexbridge_2.3.13+trusty1_
all.deb ...
Unpacking flexbridge (2.3.13+trusty1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fieldworks-applications.
Preparing to unpack .../fieldworks-applications_8.2.8+trusty1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking fieldworks-applications (8.2.8+trusty1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up fieldworks-applications (8.2.8+trusty1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fieldworks-applications.postinst: 25: [: =: unexpected operator
Adding user allen to group fieldworks
Adding user hilda to group fieldworks
Adding user jimmy to group fieldworks
Adding user johnchris to group fieldworks
Adding user johnmanetha to group fieldworks
Adding user johnpeter to group fieldworks
Adding user joseph to group fieldworks
Setting up flexbridge (2.3.13+trusty1) ...
unzip:  cannot find or open Mercurial-i686.zip, Mercurial-i686.zip.zip or Mercurial-i686.zip.ZIP.
dpkg: error processing package flexbridge (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 9
 flexbridge
***********************

which, as you can see, threw another error... Just for a lark, though, I ran Fieldworks Language Explorer from the Menu. I got this error:
***********************
This software cannot be run. Essential parts of it require agreement to the Code Project Open License.

If you wish to indicate your agreement to this license, please reconfigure the package.

To do this, launch Synaptic. Search for fieldworks-applications. Click 'fieldworks-applications' in the list and choose Package > Configure... If you receive an error message saying you need 'libgnome2-perl', then install that package and try again.

You can also reconfigure the package from the commandline by running:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure fieldworks-applications
***********************

I went the Synaptic route, since it was listed first. Package > Configure gave me this error:
***********************
Cannot start configuration tool!
You have to install the required package 'libgnome2-perl'.
***********************

So I installed it. And got this error:
***********************
E: flexbridge: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 9

which looked familiar... Since libgnome2-perl (and two dependencies) had green boxes, I tried to Configure fieldworks-applications again. This time I got a window asking me to accept the terms of CPOL. I did and didn't get any errors when I clicked 'Forward'!

Through all this I had the nagging feeling that there were three packages removed in the 'purge' (fieldworks, fieldworks-applications, and flexbridge), but only two installed (fieldworks-applications and flexbridge). Sure enough, fieldworks had a blank box beside it in Synaptic (I would have expected green). So I installed fieldworks and got the old:
E: flexbridge: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 9

At this point I tried to run Fieldworks again (from the Menu), and got the 'Open Project' window--progress! I clicked 'Get project from a colleague' and got a FLEx Bridge window saying, "Chorus requires the Mercurial version control system. It must be installed and part of the PATH environment variable."

I searched Syaptic for 'mercurial' and found both 'mercurial' and 'mercurial-common' to be installed (green box), both version 2.8.2-1ubuntu1.3.

And here I bow out and defer to you... What's next? All a bit more than I was expecting when installing FLEx for Linux! :-P