Grammatical category and semantic domain in both analysis languages in a trilingual dictionary

Mayank Jain

Feb 9, 2016, 9:20:05 PM2/9/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

In flex, my query is about including parts of speech i.e. grammatical category in both analysis languages in a tringual dictionary. For example, Jad (vernacular language) and English & Hindi (analysis languages).

Do we have to make custom fields for grammatical category and semantic domain in Hindi?

Can this grammatical category options appear as a drop down box as we do for English parts of speech?

We would like to include them in various export output.

Mayank

Best,
Mayank
Research Scholar
Centre for Linguistics,
School of Language, Literature and Cultural Studies,
Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi, India

Beth-docs Bryson

Feb 9, 2016, 9:25:46 PM2/9/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
No, you definitely don't want to use custom fields for those.  Those fields already exist in FLEx, and if you have both English and Hindi as your analysis languages, then there should already be "slices" for entering the Hindi translation as well as the English translation.

For grammatical category, go to the Grammar area, and the Category Edit view.  Add all the categories you need, and then for each one, find the space to put Hindi and type it in.  (After you do, I would love it if you would do File/Export/Translated List Content" and send the results to me.  I would be happy to ship it so future versions of FLEx would have it available to any new project that has Hindi as an analysis language.)

For the Semantic Domains, are you using the same domains that ship with FLEx, or do you have a custom set (that might be more "emic", more based on that specific culture)?  If you do have a custom set, then *that* would be a reason to have a custom field for Semantic Domains, but it would still have "slices" for both English and Hindi.

But if you don't have your own set and are using the ones that ship with FLEx, then go to the Lists area, to the Semantic Domain view, and see what is there.  If you have created this project relatively recently (in the last year or so), then I expect that a good many of the semantic domains already have Hindi versions as well as English.

Do let me know how it goes and if you are able to find what you need.

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Mayank Jain

Feb 10, 2016, 8:10:36 AM2/10/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the suggestions.

For the grammatical category in Hindi, In the category edit view of the grammar area, we have added Hindi Part of speech under Name and Abbreviation which corresponding to English ones. But, how can we make FLEx show Hindi parts of speech in the lexicon edit view of lexicon. It is still showing only English parts of speech.

Similarly for the semantic domains (we are using the default semantic domain provided by flex), The Semantic Domain view under the Lists area have both English and Hindi versions of semantic domains, the Hindi versions can't be viewed in the lexicon edit view of lexicon. How can we show Hindi versions of English semantic domains.

mayank

Mayank Jain

Feb 10, 2016, 5:42:14 PM2/10/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I could get through the problem of non appearance of Hindi grammatical category and Hindi semantic domains in the dictionary view. I got it solved by tools --- configure ---- dictionary. I went to grammatical category and semantic domain fields to solve the problem.

But the Hindi grammatical categories do not appear while selecting a grammatical category from drop-down options, only English grammatical categories appear there. Similarly for Hindi semantic domains do not appear in the 'choose semantic domain' dialogue box (here also only English semantic domains are present).

I would send you the exported translated list of parts of speech in Hindi. At present we have very limited list. I would send soon.

Beth-docs Bryson

Feb 11, 2016, 5:51:08 AM2/11/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
If you use the Format menu and find the Set Up Writing Systems dialog, you can change the order of your writing systems.  In the Analysis Writing System section, move Hindi to be above English.  Then it will be the “primary writing system” or “default writing system”.  Then in fields with both English and Hindi, Hindi will show first.  In combo boxes or list trees that only show one writing system, they will show the primary writing system if there is data in it.  Otherwise it will show content in the next writing system.  (Hindi first then English, for your data.)

In that dialog, if you untick the box next to a writing system, it will hide those slices when they are empty.  (That is, Gloss has a slice for English and a slice for Hindi.  If there is only a Hindi gloss and not an English one in a certain entry, then in that entry you will see only the Hindi slice.  But if another entry has an English gloss, you will see the English slice in that gloss.)

If you want to hide a writing system whether it has data or not, you can use the “Hide” button in that dialog.  To “unhide” it later, you would use “Add” to add the writing system back.  Your data will still be there.

These controls affect the user interface.  If you want to control what is output in dictionary output, you can use Tools/Configure/Dictionary.  When you select any node, on the right is a control to tell which writing systems to display for that field.  “Default Analysis” will show whichever writing system is currently the top (primary) one in the Set Up Writing Systems dialog.  Or you can explicitly ask for either Hindi or English or both.  You can do this for each field.

-Beth

Michael Galant

Aug 9, 2016, 3:01:26 PM8/9/16
to FLEx list, broa...@ufl.edu, mikeg...@netzero.net
Hi, Beth.

A student hid Spanish as an analysis language, and when we try to add it back, we get an error message saying that the language already exists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Jeff Shrum

Aug 9, 2016, 3:42:02 PM8/9/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

Are you making the change from this window or somewhere else?

Jeff Shrum

SIL International

Jonathan Dailey

Aug 9, 2016, 5:14:42 PM8/9/16
to FLEx List
In the writing system area it does not show Spanish.  Click add and it should be listed there.  Click on it and it will add it back in.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/7eba157d-6aa1-4d80-a90e-b983a4241d4d%40googlegroups.com.

You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

SIL International
Language Technology Consultant

Michael Galant

Aug 9, 2016, 7:17:47 PM8/9/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com, Broadwell,George Aaron, mikeg...@netzero.net
Hi, Jeff.

The window that you show in the image is in fact  the window from which I try to restore Spanish.

Best,
Mike

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Shrum <Jeff_...@sil.org> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/7eba157d-6aa1-4d80-a90e-b983a4241d4d%40googlegroups.com.

You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Michael Galant

Aug 9, 2016, 7:25:39 PM8/9/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com, Broadwell,George Aaron, mikeg...@netzero.net
Jonathan,

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, for some reason, when my student clicks on "Add", Spanish does not show up as an option anymore.

However, when I tried the same thing in one of my own projects (hiding Spanish and then adding it back), it does work, so maybe there is something peculiar about the particular projects where the problem has occurred.

Best,
Mike

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "FLEx list" group.