Unwanted white space with lexical relations

Oumar Bah

Aug 22, 2016, 6:37:47 PM8/22/16
to FLEx List
Dear colleagues,

a new trouble with lexical relations. I am having a white space before the period, for example: syn: word . instead of syn: word. If I check in the Tool-Configure-Dictionary-Senses-Lexical relations, the period is at its usual place in the "surrounding context". Resetting to the default seems the only option but I would loss a lot of settings of the dictionary view. I cannot figure out what I did wrong. Any idea?

Greetings
Oumar

Ron Moe

Aug 22, 2016, 7:30:40 PM8/22/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
If you look at the Lexical relations field in Tool-Configure-Dictionary and open up all the + boxes, you will see that there are a total of six fields that you can choose from in the export. You need to check all of them for unwanted spaces. Once you have made all the necessary changes and corrections, be sure to always click the refresh button. Also, make sure that the space is part of the formatting of the Lexical relations field. It may be coming from some other field. The period could also be coming from some other field. For instance the space+period could be the ending punctuation of the Sense level. In fact I just checked my settings and found a space at the end of the Sense level.
Ron

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Oumar Bah

Paul Unger

Aug 24, 2016, 7:45:34 PM8/24/16
to FLEx list, oumar_...@yahoo.fr
Hi Oumar,

Sorry you didn't find the phantom space and had to restore the default setup. I hope you're able to remember the 'configuration' changes you had made earlier so that you can make them again. To that end, I keep a list of changes I make to Tools > Configure > Dictionary (I'm happy to share it, if you're interested).

I've also written myself some 'rationale' for some of the decisions I've made (to come back to when I question myself!). I post it for you here, for what it's worth:

I have spent some time playing with Tools > Configure > Dictionary in an effort to introduce more ‘distinction’ in the dictionary entry (TIP: right-click the part of an entry you want to configure in the Dictionary Preview part of the Entry pane [I wonder if this would have helped you to locate the space you were trying to track down?]). One thing I learned is that it is probably better to put any punctuation before the part of the entry you want to distinguish, rather than after the preceding part of the entry you want to distinguish it from. The reason is, if you put it after a part of an entry (e.g., semicolon and space following ‘definition’ asdefinition;_” [I've used _ to indicate a space]), then when what you’re trying to distinguish it from is not present you’re left with dangling punctuation, e.g.:

bua [mbua] n betelnut;_

If, however, you put it before a part of an entry (e.g., semicolon and space before ‘scientific name’ as ;_scientific name”), then any time that part of an entry is present it will be appropriately punctuated from what it follows:

bua [mbua] n betelnut; areca catechu

In short, make distinguishing punctuation part of the entry element you want to distinguish, not part of the entry element you want to distinguish it from.

I haven't found any reason not to configure dictionary this way, though someone here might have some reason that would make me reconsider (input welcome!)

Paul
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flex-list+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Oumar Bah

Aug 26, 2016, 6:40:26 PM8/26/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Paul, thanks for sharing your experiences and of course if you have worked out a strategy how to keep track of changes in the dictionary view, I am interested. In general, I try to keep modifications of the dictionary view at a low level, to avoid troubles in case of a reset to the default setup.
Cheers
Oumar

You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Beth-docs Bryson

Aug 28, 2016, 1:53:26 PM8/28/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
What version of FLEx are you using?

If you are using FW 8.2.8 or earlier, then I recommend checking the “After” context for all of the parent and child nodes of the one you are looking at. It could be sneaking in from somewhere above or below in the hierarchy.

If you are using FW 8.3.0 Alpha 3, there is a highlight feature that is intended to help you sort out which node the spaces are coming from.  We know there are issues with spaces being in the wrong places in the default config for that version.  Hopefully for the beta, it will be a bit better.

Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Oumar Bah

Aug 28, 2016, 8:12:16 PM8/28/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I am using 8.2.8. After restoring the default, the space has disappeared. I am happy if the next version can help tackle the problem.
Oumar