RE: [FLEx] FW 8.3 Line Separator no longer working. use \A

Ken Zook

Jun 15, 2017, 9:19:58 AM6/15/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Shift+Return (U+2028 LINE SEPARATOR) will work in the middle of any field to force a new line.

But with the switch to xhtml dictionary view and associated css style sheet, U+2028 no longer works in Before/Between/After text. Instead use \A (or \a) in these environments. css interprets this as a LineFeed which accomplishes the same thing.

Ken

Jun 15, 2017, 11:48:49 AM6/15/17
to FLEx list
Thanks for the feedback Ken!

The \a and \A technique worked for the "Before" field, however it doesn't work for the "Between" field. Do you have any suggestions for that particular field?

Thanks!

Scott

Ken Zook

Jun 16, 2017, 11:31:05 AM6/16/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Backslash (\) is an escape character that expects a hex value. \0290 will insert the code U+0290 (ʐ). \A is inserting U+000A LINE FEED. It will use any following hex characters (0-9,a-f) as part of the Unicode value. If you add a space or if it’s at the end of a string, it stops interpreting it as a value (and throws away the space). Any non-hex character also ends the sequence. So \ab will insert U+00AB («). \at will insert U+000A and ‘t’. \a b will insert U+000A and ‘b’.

If you follow these rules, it works fine in the Before, Between, and After fields.

scot...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2017, 7:46:17 PM6/16/17
to FLEx list
Ken,

Thanks again for your patience and assistance. I was entering the \a in the "Variant Forms" section when I meant to enter it into the "Variant Type" section. The solution you provided works.

Thanks again!

Scott