How to easily populate Reversals field with multiple items?

Kevin Warfel

Nov 30, 2015, 3:25:16 PM11/30/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

I’m working with someone wanting to create a Reversal for his dictionary. It is my understanding that, to do this, he needs to populate the Reversal Entries field for each of the entries he wants to have appear in the Reversal. We can use Bulk Edit (Copy) to populate this field based on the Gloss or Definition field, for the most part. However, for a number of his entries, the Definition field contains two distinct words or phrases separated by a semicolon which are not considered semantically distinct enough to merit listing them as separate senses of the word, but he would like both items to appear as a headword in the Reversal.

Can someone tell me if there is a quick way to populate (e.g., via Bulk Edit) the Reversal Entries field of a sense having a Gloss like “aussi ; et” so that the Reversal Entries field contains “aussi” [vertical gray bar] “et”? Or must he manually create the second headword in the Reversal Entries field by copying/cutting and pasting or by typing the word?

Input from anyone who has experience with reversals will be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

Robert Hedinger

Dec 1, 2015, 5:00:02 AM12/1/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
you can use Click copy in Bulk edit entries. Set the Reversal field as the target and by clicking on a word (anywhere) it will be copied to the reversal field. Each time you click on a word it will make it a separate reversal entry. So click on aussi and then on et and then go to Lexicon edit to see that both are now reversal entries separated by the grey line.

If you filter the definitions for semicolon then you can just focus on those definitions. (For reasons I don’t understand I always have to search for \; as a regular expression to get a result. A bug?)

Robert
--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Kevin Warfel

Dec 1, 2015, 9:27:41 AM12/1/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Robert,

Thank you. In fact, we were able to accomplish the same thing by using Bulk Copy. After filtering the Definitions so that only those with a semicolon in them were displayed, we set the Source Field to Definition and the Target Field to Reversals and selected all the Entries to be affected by the operation. To my surprise, FLEx intelligently interpreted the semicolon as a delimiter of items to be separated in the process, so we ended up with multiple items in the Reversal Entries field, just as we desired. And we didn’t have to use 1000+ clicks to do it, which would have been the case for 511 entries, each with multiple parts to be copied, via Bulk Click Copy. (Score one for the FLEx analyst who decided this is how the Bulk Copy feature should work in this case!)

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. Your reply was a big help to us!

Kevin

Robert Hedinger

Dec 3, 2015, 6:11:02 AM12/3/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Great you were able to do it efficiently. I always use a variety of methods, trying to do the bulk first and then focusing on the bits that have to be done more individually or in small groups.
image001.jpg