FLEx shuts down in Text mode

Rosemary Beam de Azcona

Aug 29, 2017, 2:26:41 PM8/29/17
to FLEx list
Hi Everybody!

I am having a problem with FLEx where the program will shut down every time I try to go to the Texts mode. I tried restarting the computer and I also upgraded to the most recent version of the program but the problem persists. I've tried with different databases and have the same problem, although once or twice it didn't shut down right away. With a smaller database I was actually able to type in one test sentence in the baseline before it shut down but the rest of the time I can't even get that far. I pretty much immediately get the message "Fieldworks stopped working. Windows is looking for a solution" and right after that the message "The program stopped working correctly. Windows will close the program". There is no problem if I stay in the lexicon or go to one of the other functions like the Grammar or Notebook, only Texts, which is what I most want to use right now. Anybody encounter this before or know of a possible solution?

Thanks!

Paul Nelson

Aug 29, 2017, 2:40:18 PM8/29/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rosemary,

What version of operating system are you using?

Paul

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Rosemary Beam de Azcona

Aug 29, 2017, 3:20:18 PM8/29/17
to FLEx list
Hi Paul,

Windows 10 (64 bit, x64 processor)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Rosemary Beam de Azcona <rosema...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Paul Nelson

Aug 29, 2017, 3:55:55 PM8/29/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
If your Windows 10 version has updated to the 1703 (Creators Update) release this would be expected until the 5 September update.

Microsoft put a bug into that release that should be fixed with next Tuesday's update. To not crash in Text mode you need to revert to the previous 1607 release.

Paul

Aaron Broadwell

Aug 30, 2017, 11:40:15 AM8/30/17
to FLEx list
Hi Rosemary,

We are all suffering from the latest Windows update! If you can go into the Windows settings, it is possible that you may be able to Revert to a previous version of Windows 10.

Hopefully the next Windows update in a week or so will fix the issue and we can all get back to work.

Aaron

Rosemary Beam de Azcona

Aug 31, 2017, 1:22:23 PM8/31/17
to FLEx list
Thanks, everybody! Maybe we should have a party Tuesday to celebrate!

Beth-docs Bryson

Sep 5, 2017, 2:11:09 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I had mentioned this before, but I do want to remind people again:

The Linux version of FLEx is not affected by these issues.

If you are genuinely crippled in what you need to do (for instance, working in the texts area), a possible workaround would be:

 - Download Virtual Box (free software for setting up a virtual OS).   virtualbox.org
 - Install a version of Ubuntu Linux.
 - Install FieldWorks.

The way the virtual OS works, you can share files from your Windows OS over to the Linux OS.  You can take the FieldWorks database you were using in Windows, and open it directly in the Linux OS.  There is no migration or importing/exporting necessary.  And when Windows comes back online, you could move the database back to Windows again.

There are many people who have done this, so there is lots of support available if you are looking for input from someone who has already done it.

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.
---

Kent Rasmussen

Sep 5, 2017, 2:48:08 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a great time to try out Linux! I led one of my committee members (at UT Arlington) through the process of installing Fieldworks on Wasta in a virtual machine, so he could run it on his Mac. The process was fairly painless.

On 09/05/2017 01:10 PM, Beth-docs Bryson wrote:
[...]

SIL Eastern Congo Group Linguistics Consultant / Conseiller en Linguistique de SIL au Congo de l'Est
Orthographies for eastern DRC / Orthographes pour la RDC de l'est
+1-541-357-7276

Johnston, Seth

Sep 5, 2017, 4:53:00 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
What would happen if you were to run the Linux version, say, on virtual box or Cygwin or something?

Sincerely,
Seth Johnston

Johnston, Seth

Sep 5, 2017, 4:54:35 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Oops. Teach me to reply before reading the whole thread. Thanks, Beth.

Sincerely,
Seth Johnston

Sep 5, 2017, 5:05:36 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
That's what I meant. I don't have any experience with Cygwin, but virtual box/wasta/fieldworks worked fine. -Kent

Kent Rasmussen

Sep 5, 2017, 5:06:15 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Yeah.

On 09/05/2017 03:54 PM, Johnston, Seth wrote:
Oops. Teach me to reply before reading the whole thread. Thanks, Beth.

Sincerely,
Seth Johnston

What would happen if you were to run the Linux version, say, on virtual box or Cygwin or something?

Sincerely,
Seth Johnston

Sep 5, 2017, 5:56:00 PM9/5/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Beth; If I might add some color commentary:
On 09/05/2017 04:05 PM, Beth-docs Bryson wrote:
> 1. If you are already using Send/Receive with your project, then the best way is to set up the virtual machine to access the Internet.
This is what we did, and it ran smoothly. Not only was my prof's computer running FW in Wasta Linux in a VM, but it was synchronized through language depot, so the whole class could share work. We had no noticeable issues.

> 2. If you are not using Send/Receive, then
You should ask yourself why that is. We all know how important backups are, but the quicker and easier they are, the more likely they are to be used. And send/receive is quick and easy. No hard drive to plug into, just run the process. Additionally, using something off site like languagedepot.org gives you the added benefit of an off site backup. We don't normally think of this value, but the more likely you might have fire/isurrection/war/evacuation, the more likely you will be glad you had everything backed up before you had to pack your go bag. We lost LOTS of data in a war/evacuation and the chaos that followed, and I regret having to start some work over in some languages. If we had our data backed up off site, that wouldn't have been an issue.

> 3. It is in principle possible to just copy the database itself into the place it should go,… there shouldn’t be a need to try this route.
hear, hear! :-)

w...@soas.ac.uk

Sep 6, 2017, 11:45:26 AM9/6/17
to FLEx list
Does anyone know if the 5th September update has fixed this issue?

Paul Nelson

T Dufty

Randy Regnier

Oct 17, 2017, 4:50:50 PM10/17/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
On 10/17/2017 1:22 PM, T Dufty wrote:

> Do we know if the fix happened yesterday?

In a word: "yes".

The Fall Creators Update was released today, 17 Oct, around 10 a.m.
Pacific time in the U.S. (1700 UTC). For those upgrading from 1703, you
first get 1709 16299.15, and then a second update can be fetched to get
up to 1709 16299.19.

I had tried to get it on my laptop by repeating the click of the "Check
for updates" button in the main settings, for about 15-20 minutes, right
around the release time. (Microsoft says it is a staged release around
the world.) I grew weary of clicking that button, and went with
instructions down in point 2 (Manually update for advanced users) on
this page:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/#GwKS3FLjkiFJ64wA.97

Others may get it just by using that main "Check for updates" button in
the main settings.

I clicked that "Update now" button on that page, and it downloaded
something, which I then ran. Almost immediately, it finished and told me
something like "Happy you updated". It was so fast, I knew it couldn't
have upgraded anything, but I then tried clicking the main "Check for
updates" button in the main settings, and it started downloading 1709
16299.15 right away. The download and install took a while, and some
restarts, but when it finished I clicked that main "Check for updates"
button in the main settings once more, and it then started the
additional update to get up to 1709 16299.19. That second update went
much faster, since it was more like an ordinary update. I did not have
to do the step in that page about "Create Windows 10 installation media".

When that was all done, I fired up FLEx and it did not crash. That is
nice, since I am developing what will likely be Flex 10 on my desktop,
and I run "out-of-the-box" Flex 8.3.9 on my laptop to make sure FLEx 10
will work the same way (plus whatever ends up in FLEx 9, whenever it
comes out).

Randy Regnier

Andrew A

Oct 17, 2017, 4:51:39 PM10/17/17
to FLEx list
The feature update did come out today. I'm in the process of installing it, so I can't yet comment on whether the feature update contains a fix that will work for me or not. Will report back as soon as I know. I'm sure others will probably beat me to it :)

Andrew

T Dufty

Oct 17, 2017, 4:56:39 PM10/17/17
to FLEx list
PTL. :)

Paul Nelson

Oct 18, 2017, 8:55:34 AM10/18/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
The fix happened yesterday. I encourage one and all to get the update from Microsoft.

Best regards,
Paul