WeSay style interface for FLEx?

KenK

May 14, 2016, 1:59:16 AM5/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I have a request. Could we make toggled SIMPLIFIED GUI for FLEx, which
would include:

WeSay lexicographical functions
Glossing

These tasks would be determined for the user.

What do you think? Too radical? Already considered and rejected?

Thanks, Ken

Kari Valkama

May 14, 2016, 2:43:00 AM5/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sounds like a good suggestion.
I would like to add interlinearization, unless glossing means the same thing.

Yours,
Kari

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

KenK

May 14, 2016, 3:31:09 AM5/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Kari (or AKA (also known as) ??? :-D  ),

That's what I mean. No parsing, but word level glosses. We can leave morphological analysis for later, but if we don't know what the texts mean, its impossible to go farther.

Paul Nelson

May 14, 2016, 6:45:24 AM5/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
An alternative to putting a WeSay UI on FLEx is to have WeSay talk directly to FLEx on the backend. Would that be a helpful?

By the way Language Forge seeks to do just this...except connectivity to the internet and group authoring is assumed.

Paul

KenK

May 14, 2016, 8:08:32 AM5/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Sorry to suggest an encroachment of "Feature Creep" for WeSay, but I really think that for WeSay to be a "FLEx replacement", and a guide for the perplexed, a teacher of newbies....

We just gotta have text interlinearization on a word gloss level.

Whatever way it hooks up, it doesn't really matter. Maybe think of this suggestion as "LanguageForge Desktop" edition. It could do send/receive, etc.

Ken

Kari Valkama

May 14, 2016, 4:58:51 PM5/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I think morpheme level parsing / glossing / analysis
or whatever its name is [ :-) ],
is needed.

Yours,
Kari

Jonathan Dailey

May 16, 2016, 10:10:42 AM5/16/16
to FLEx List
I have seen something similar in some other related software.  I think this is on the way in or out due to it being mentioned as "not currently implemented in the program" in the helps and yet the helps for doing so being inside the helps.

SIL International
Language Technology Consultant

Martin Zaske

May 25, 2016, 4:15:35 AM5/25/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello frequent users,

If there is capacity for the GUI, please make it 100% keyboard ready so
that we can enter and fill-in many many new lexicon entries without the
need to grab the mouse in-between.

And please let the user assign keyboard-shortcuts for the menu entries
which he constantly needs (for example Insert > insert invisible space)
and tweak those keyboard-shortcuts which conflict with
user-brain-pre-wiredness or other needs on the system.

Thank you Ken, machines are meant to work for humans, so no idea is too
radical to be considered for making a UI better. The developers will let
us know about capacity.

Ideally each feature and function should have a toggle (like those
field-visibility thingies) and the user should have the option to create
complex or simple working-environments and them save them to given
names. Then maybe an option to export and import such
working-environments ...

Martin