send/receive is a bully

Martin Zaske

Mar 26, 2018, 9:29:16 AM3/26/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Dear List and dear Flex team,

I had to look several times, because today my Flex (latest version)
refused to send/receive to our office-USB-drive. The option was greyed
out. I tried closing the send/receive window and give it more time.

When I looked closer I found this rather harsh message: "More than one
USB-drive connected. Remove one." or something similar.

Now today I had a very good reason to have another USB-drive connected,
so I did not appreciate this "I am important; let other programs deal
with it" approach.

You have all had moments, where Windows does not easily let you remove a
certain USB-device, for example when you are running a (long) back-up,
or some program does not comply with your "remove safely" request or
whatever.

Did you know that there are features in Windows (for example ReadyBoost)
which - as a concept - have the user keeping some (USB) drive connected
at all times? So plenty reasons for the next Flex version to co-operate
better with fellow-programs running at the same time. Multi-tasking is
not new any more...

Look at PT: When there are several USB-drives, there is a simple
drop-down list and you can pick. (I bet PT could even automatically find
which one has got a shared-folder thingy, but I even prefer to have
control). So it can be done.

Send/receive typically happens at the beginning and at the end of
work-sessions. When colleagues, partners or consultants are arriving or
leaving. They might have to catch a train or a plane. Very nasty, when
Windows then tells you "do not shut down your machine, we will do a
surprise-update" or Flex does not let you do a quick send/receive like
you are used to.

fwiw,

Martin

--
Martin Zaske; BP 50, Bassila, Benin
+229 97.44.62.95

Theoretisch gibt es zwischen Theorie und Praxis keinen Unterschied. Praktisch gibt es ihn aber.