how to program alternative interlinear output and simple output to word

Sett 59 ganger
Hopp til første uleste melding

kristine Stenzel

ulest,
27. sep. 2017, 12:33:5027.09.2017
til flex...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I am a longtime user of Toolbox trying to make the jump to Flex. I managed to map my existing fields from Toolbox onto Flex and import my data, but now I am running into two problems that I cannot seem to solve by myself.

The first is related to the interlinear analysis function (Texts & Words). The languages I work on have lexemes with very different surface and underlying forms. In Toolbox, I had separate fields for these forms – I put the surface/orthographic in the ‘lexeme’ \lx field – and the underlying form in a separate underlying form \u field that I created.

Then, when I set up the interlinear parsing process in Toolbox, for the first (word to morpheme parse) I had it go from the (orthographic) words in the ‘text’ \t line in my texts database to the lexical database and look at the ‘lexeme’ \lx field, but I had it output the underlying form \u back to the morpheme \m line in my interlinear analysis. This worked like a charm.

Now, after converted my existing database to Flex, although I still have these two fields, the ‘analyze’ tab in Texts & Words is automatically set to search for and return the lexeme form, but I want it to give me back the underlying form, as I had set up in Toolbox. I have been told that anything I was able to program in Toolbox can also be programmed in Flex, but I’m having trouble finding out how. If anyone has done something like this or can point me to a possible solution, I’d be very grateful.

The second problem is with export formats for finished interlinear analyses from Flex. Again, my reference is Toolbox, from which I could export analyses to Rich Text Format, choosing whatever fields I wanted, and then easily open this rtf file in word. What is the equivalent procedure in Flex? I have tried all the options in Export Interlinear and find none that work in such a straightforward manner. Either I get output with internal column boundaries that I cannot deal with in word, or I have to process output from Flex through the XLing Paper program, which gives me pdf output or something from which I still need to cut and paste if I want to work with it in word. This seems to be a huge step backward from the simple export function that was available in Toolbox – but maybe I just can’t find the equivalent option. Again, if anyone can steer me the right direction, I will be very appreciative.

Best,

Kristine Stenzel

Andy Black

ulest,
27. sep. 2017, 14:31:3727.09.2017
til flex...@googlegroups.com, kristine Stenzel
On 9/27/2017 9:33 AM, kristine Stenzel wrote:

[...]

It is possible to produce Word output from XLingPaper.  See http://software.sil.org/downloads/r/xlingpaper/resources/documentation/xxe7/UserDocXMLmind.htm#sFAQProduceWord for more information on that.  You could then copy and paste from the Word document produced by XLingPaper.

Having said that, you may want to consider just learning to use XLingPaper instead.  See http://software.sil.org/downloads/r/xlingpaper/resources/documentation/WhyUseXLingPaper.pdf for the advantages of climbing the learning curve that XLingPaper has.

One nice thing about using the PDF XLingPaper produces is that interlinear text will automatically wrap long lines in the PDF.  These long lines do not automatically wrap with the Word output.  With Word, you have to manually fix the long lines (see http://software.sil.org/downloads/r/xlingpaper/resources/documentation/xxe7/UserDocXMLmind.htm#secExInterlinearContinuation in the user documentation for how to do that).

--Andy

Best,

Kristine Stenzel

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Kevin Warfel

ulest,
27. sep. 2017, 16:15:1627.09.2017
til flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kristine,

You wrote: “The languages I work on have lexemes with very different surface and underlying forms. In Toolbox, I had separate fields for these forms – I put the surface/orthographic in the ‘lexeme’ \lx field – and the underlying form in a separate underlying form \u field that I created.

In FLEx, the underlying form should normally go in the Lexeme field and the surface form in the Citation Form field. Is that the way you imported your data from Toolbox to FLEx?

Blessings,

Kevin

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary and Lexicography Services Coordinator

a.k.a. Dictionary Development Coordinator

SIL International

Current technology makes it possible to provide those translating into just about any language with both a dictionary and a thesaurus in the target language, the standard tools of the trade for professional translators, so why are mother-tongue translators in minority languages still expected to do their work without these tools?  Ask me about Rapid Word Collection after reading about it at rapidwords.net.

--

Kent Rasmussen

ulest,
27. sep. 2017, 17:30:3027.09.2017
til flex...@googlegroups.com
Hear! Hear!
On 09/27/2017 01:31 PM, Andy Black wrote:

> Having said that, you may want to consider just learning to use XLingPaper instead.

--
Kent Rasmussen
SIL Eastern Congo Group Linguistics Consultant / Conseiller en Linguistique de SIL au Congo de l'Est
Orthographies for eastern DRC / Orthographes pour la RDC de l'est
+1-541-357-7276

Kevin Warfel

ulest,
28. sep. 2017, 09:27:0728.09.2017
til flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi again, Kris.

Without concrete examples of what the data looks like that you’re dealing with, I find myself struggling to understand your situation. When you say that “the underlying form is an abstract form that is not what is used in the practical orthography,” do you mean that the two are unrelated, that the orthographical form cannot be derived from the abstract form via a set of definable “rules”? If so, then I’ll have to let someone else answer your question.

But if you don’t mean that, does this example from the language I worked on in Africa parallel what you’re dealing with? Elements to the left of the arrow () are the underlying lexeme forms, while those to the right of the arrow are in the form used in the practical orthography. Note the very different ways that the suffix is written, depending on the context. FLEx can interlinearize data like this, but it’s not clear to me if your case is similar to or very different from what I illustrate here.

bò- + -ɛ́   bòo

bànà- + -ɛ́   bène

bil- + -ɛ́   bilí

fù- + -ɛ́   fùu

fʋ- + -ɛ́   fʋɩɛ́

gʋm- + -ɛ́   gʋmɛ́

hun- + -ɛ́   huní

zʋ̀- + -ɛ́   zʋɩ̀ɛ

etc. (There are many other ways that this suffix manifests itself in the orthography, all but a handful being very regular and predictable linguistically.)

-Kevin