resources for PA and FLEx use

Cameron and Valerie Hamm

Mar 18, 2015, 5:26:28 PM3/18/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

I am helping someone start using FLEx and Phonology Assistant (PA) to do a phonology sketch.  I would like it very much if someone on this list could tell me or point me to some resources where I could learn how best to work in FLEx so that PA only accesses words in FLEx that are 'basic', defined here as:

-are not compound words or phrases

-are not borrowed words

I have set up a custom field in FLEx to show when a vernacular word is basic (as described above), but I was not successful to get PA to only access the 'basic' words that were tagged in FLEx.  I started looking in PA at filters, but I wasn't able to make a filter to get this to work.  It seems that PA only has access to a few pre-defined fields from FLEx.  Is that true?

So I guess this is more a PA question than a FLEx question, but there may be something I need to change in FLEx too, so I thought I would start asking here.

The version of PA is 3.4.7 and I think FLEx is 8.x, but I'm not positive.  PA was automatically updating as FLEx entries changed, so that was very nice.

Thanks,

Cam

Jonathan Dailey

Mar 18, 2015, 6:07:46 PM3/18/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
There is probably a way to do what you want that is internal to PA but a simple work around is to export the filtered lexicon and then import it into a new project and have PA only look at that data base.
--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Coleen Starwalt

Mar 18, 2015, 11:04:41 PM3/18/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Cam, have you considered upgrading to the 3.5.1 Beta version of PA that is now available? It can be found here http://build.palaso.org/project.html?projectId=PhonologyAssistant&tab=projectOverview&guest=1. PA 3.5.1 now has the capacity of accessing custom fields in FLEx. I announced the release of the Beta on the Discussion of Linguistics list, but perhaps you are not subscribed to that. All the new features were listed in that email. A lot of revamping of the help files also took place before the Beta release. I think they are quite useful. Let me know if you are interested in having the email forwarded to you and I'll do so from my sil.org address.

Coleen Starwalt
Sometime Phonology Assistant "champion"

GregT

Mar 20, 2015, 1:23:40 PM3/20/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Cam and the way you get to those custom fields is using the File, Project Settings, Properties, dialog. You click the properties button for the data source and in the lower section of the dialog, you can add the custom field name. Then it will show up in PA and you can create a filter based on the contents of that field.