Updating from version 8.1.3 to 8.3+

Patricia A

Oct 15, 2017, 10:59:35 PM10/15/17
to FLEx list
Greetings all,

We've been happily using FLEx 8.1.3 for a few years now, coordinating through Send/Receive with LanguageDepot accounts.

However, one of our colleagues got a new computer and installed version 8.3.9, and proceeded to send/receive with it.

We tried to update to version 8.2 a while back, but had serious issues and had to rip out everyone's DB and GET from LanguageDepot to get back on version 8.1.3 and it was a whole dance.

So I'm trying to decide whether or not we can update to version 8.3+ Or whether we should stay were we are.

Anything we need to know about updating (other than "back up first", which is a must)

Thanks,
Patricia

Paul Nelson

Oct 16, 2017, 8:02:11 AM10/16/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hello Patricia,

8.3.9 has a lot of really helpful improvements, including better dictionary configuration and direct uploading to https://webonary.org.

In the upgrade process, have all members do a send/receive with their last changes, then do a send/receive yourself.
Update your version to 8.3.9. When you open your dictionary it will mitgrate to the latest format.
Do a send/receive from your machine
Make sure your team members all upgrade to 8.3.9 and then do a send/receive.

You do need to make sure all team members are using the same version.

Generally speaking, newer versions have bug fixes and improvements that help you and your team have a better experience using FieldWorks. I'm not sure why one would want to keep using the older version. :-)

Best regards,
Paul

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Patricia

Oct 16, 2017, 8:52:26 PM10/16/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear about the improvements.  We are generally conservative about upgrading because it is a non-trivial task for our team - there a dozen FLEx users in vastly disparate geographic locations and varied level of comfort with technology.  It generally requires that our more savvy users sit down one-on-one with our less savvy users to walk them through the upgrade, sometimes requiring travel to remote areas.

But looks like it's our best option this go-around.

Thanks,

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "FLEx list" group.