Dynamic web-based dictionary

Mayank Jain

Nov 10, 2015, 3:39:04 PM11/10/15
to FLEx list
Dear All,

A dictionary is regularly modified by adding more words in it or editing existing information in it. Therefore there is need for a dynamic dictionary (which can be updated with new information) especially with reference to web-based dictionary. I was wondering whether FLEx provides us ability to regularly update web-based dictionary.

thanks

Kevin Warfel

Nov 10, 2015, 3:53:52 PM11/10/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Yes, there is an easy way to export dictionary data from a FLEx project and upload it to a prepared site on Webonary.org. Some investment of time is required to prepare the site for the data and to develop the supporting information pages (summary information about the language and the people who speak it, copyright information, remarks about the alphabet used to write it, etc.), but the data itself can be updated as frequently as you like, and it’s easy to do.

SIL’s Dictionary & Lexicography Services has Webonary templates available for sites that are English only (e.g., Lunyole), bilingual English/French (e.g., Kabiye), or bilingual English/Spanish (e.g., Copala Triqui). There may be some other options available already that I’m not aware of right now, but we are open to creating others if they don’t yet exist.

You can write to me off-list if you want more information about Webonary.org.

Kevin

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary and Lexicography Services Coordinator

a.k.a. Dictionary Development Coordinator

SIL International

Current technology makes it possible to provide those translating into just about any language with both a dictionary and a thesaurus in the target language, the standard tools of the trade for professional translators, so why are mother-tongue translators in minority languages still expected to do their work without these tools?  Ask me about Rapid Word Collection after reading about it at rapidwords.net.

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Mayank Jain

Nov 10, 2015, 4:12:21 PM11/10/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kevin for providing information about webonary.org. I will try to work on it and get back to you for any issues.

-mayank

Cambell Prince

Nov 10, 2015, 9:09:17 PM11/10/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You may also want to have a look at http://languageforge.org Currently
this can import FLEx data and soon (before Christmas) will be able to
Send / Receive with FLEx.

Contact me off list if you'd like to know more.

Regards,
Cambell

On 11/11/15, Mayank Jain <jnu.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Kevin for providing information about webonary.org. I will try to
> work on it and get back to you for any issues.
>
> -mayank
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Kevin Warfel <kevin_...@sil.org> wrote:
>
>> Yes, there is an easy way to export dictionary data from a FLEx project
>> and upload it to a prepared site on Webonary.org
>> <http://www.webonary.org/>. Some investment of time is required to
>> prepare the site for the data and to develop the supporting information
>> pages (summary information about the language and the people who speak
>> it,
>> copyright information, remarks about the alphabet used to write it,
>> etc.),
>> but the data itself can be updated as frequently as you like, and it’s
>> easy
>> to do.
>>

>> SIL’s Dictionary & Lexicography Services has Webonary templates available
>> for sites that are English only (e.g., Lunyole
>> <http://lunyole.webonary.org/>), bilingual English/French (e.g., Kabiye
>> <http://kabiye.webonary.org/>), or bilingual English/Spanish (e.g.,
>> Copala
>> Triqui <http://copalatriqui.webonary.org/>). There may be some other
>> options available already that I’m not aware of right now, but we are
>> open
>> to creating others if they don’t yet exist.
>>

>> You can write to me off-list if you want more information about
>> Webonary.org.
>>

>> Kevin
>>

>> Kevin Warfel
>>
>> Associate Dictionary and Lexicography Services Coordinator
>>
>> a.k.a. Dictionary Development Coordinator
>>
>> SIL International
>>

>> Current technology makes it possible to provide those translating into
>> just about any language with both a dictionary and a thesaurus in the
>> target language, the standard tools of the trade for professional
>> translators, so why are mother-tongue translators in minority languages
>> still expected to do their work without these tools? Ask me about *Rapid
>> Word Collection* after reading about it at rapidwords.net
>> <http://www.rapidwords.net/>.

Cambell Prince
Payap Language Software +66 87 190 5871
skype: cambell.prince google: cambell...@gmail.com

Mayank Jain

Nov 11, 2015, 2:58:03 AM11/11/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Thanks cambell for sharing the information. I will look at your link and get back to you for further queries.

Best,
Mayank
Research Scholar
Centre for Linguistics,
School of Language, Literature and Cultural Studies,
Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi, India

Noé Gasparini

Nov 11, 2015, 6:02:54 AM11/11/15
to flex-list
Hi all,

Another dynamic web-based dictionary is Wiktionary, it's free, open and collaborative. A lot of people can help you to maintain your data and it is connected with Wikimedia Commons database to include pictures and host sounds. In my opinion, it is also a great popular place to diffuse a language.

I am planing a project now to export my FLEx database to the formating of Spanish Wiktionary, English Wiktionary and French Wiktionary and then to train the speakers to drive them to contribute to the Wiktionary.
You can have a look at my project here, if interested: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/WikiProject_Siriono

I had a first meeting with my team and the better way seems to change the formatting into FLEx to export the data properly and then import into Wiktionary with a bot, that could be done with the help of the community. Well, I am not a developer, so I can't do so much into the software, but I can help for the formatting in Wiktionary, as I am know quite well how it works.

If someone is interested to discuss this oportunity with me, please send me a private email. We can also discuss this solution in this thread if you want.

Cheers,

Noé

Mayank Jain