'unspec. var. of'

Paul Unger

Nov 16, 2016, 4:50:02 PM11/16/16
to FLEx list
Working with 8.3.1b I've noticed something I hadn't seen before: 'unspec. var. of' is showing up in numerous complex form fields, even when there's already a complex form type specified. And, like the forward slashes I mentioned in a previous post (but have never gotten a response on...), 'unspec. var. of' appears in the dictionary preview area (at the top of the Entry pane), but I cannot find it in any of the fields in the Entry in question. I would love to eliminate all instances of 'unspec. var. of', but it's hard to do so when I can't find it... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Paul

Paul Unger

Nov 16, 2016, 5:15:44 PM11/16/16
to FLEx list
Sorry, I need to make a correction: I said that the behaviour of 'unspec. var. of' was the same as the back slashes I mentioned in another post in that they both appeared in the dictionary preview area. That's not correct. The back slashes do not appear in dictionary preview (only when exported, e.g., with Pathway); 'unspec. var. of' does. The fact that I can't find where to change either of them is correct. :-P

Paul

Beth-docs Bryson

Nov 16, 2016, 5:22:17 PM11/16/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
We introduced that as a new variant type, because in the past, when a variant was created, it might have no variant type specified, and that led to some undesirable results.  (The problems were worse with complex forms than with variants--there are some very puzzling results for complex forms with a missing type.)

This new type was introduced as a real variant type, meaning it shows up in the Lists area in Variant Types, and it is one of the options when you click on the ellipsis that allows you to choose what type a specific variant is.  In theory, you should be able to open that dialog and untick "Unspecified Variant".  (It happens to be coming at the top of the list, which is not in alphabetical order, so that might make it harder to find.)

I hope that is all that you need to solve this problem.  However, we are aware of some places where it is showing up even if that box is not ticked.  That is definitely a bug.  I am most aware of this issue in the Reversal Index--I didn't think it was happening in the main dictionary.  The problems with variant types and complex form types in the Reversal are one of our highest priorities to fix for the Beta 2.  If there are also problems in the main dictionary, that will be right up there in priority, if we have a clear understanding of the problem.

I may need more specific details about your situation, and it may be helpful to send your project to FLEx_...@sil.org, with a mention of specific entries that are showing the problem.

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Paul Unger

Nov 17, 2016, 12:35:55 PM11/17/16
to FLEx list
Hi Beth,

Thanks for the background / rationale for 'Unspecified Variant'. I was curious as to why it was suddenly showing up in my data... It's definitely appearing in the main dictionary, as part of complex forms in lexical relations. For example:

 Unfortunately, 'Unspecified Complex Form' is not ticked in the 'Choose Complex Form Type' dialogue (though 'Compound' is), and 'unspec. var. of' does not appear in the entry for /tolu vula/:

​"Unfortunately", because I can't just un-tick it... Right now I can't find any other contexts in which it appears, but it seemed to me there were others.

I'd be happy to have you look at my project, but at 32 MB I think it's a bit big to e-mail. I'll send a descriptive e-mail with a Dropbox link instead.

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Beth-docs Bryson

Nov 17, 2016, 12:52:29 PM11/17/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Paul, this is helpful.

The crucial piece of information here is that it is showing up in lexical relations that reference the complex form.  That ought to be enough to track this down and solve it.  Thanks.

-Beth