ordering variants in an entry

Kevin Warfel

Sep 13, 2016, 10:53:10 AM9/13/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Has anyone found a way to control the order in which variants appear in an entry? I can’t find any “move up” or “move down” controls for this field, and the order in which they appear in the Variant section of the right-hand pane of the Lexicon Edit view seems to dictate the order in which they appear in my dictionary entry.

I use irregularly inflected variants for verb forms that deviate from the normal pattern of formation. When a single verb has more than one irregularly inflected form, I want those forms to appear in a particular order in my dictionary entry, but I can’t find a way to control the order in which they are listed in the Variants section of the entry (right-hand pane of Lexicon Edit view). I’ve tried deleting one and re-adding it. When that didn’t work, I tried deleting the other and re-adding it. No matter what I’ve tried, FLEx insists on putting them in the opposite order from what I want.

Ideas?

Thank you,

Kevin

Colin Suggett

Sep 13, 2016, 10:56:19 AM9/13/16
to Flexlist
I would also like to order my variants, but I don't think there is a way to do this at the present time.

This should be made into a feature request.

Colin

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Ron Lockwood

Sep 13, 2016, 2:06:39 PM9/13/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Whereas you can't change the order of variants in the entry detail pane on the right, you can change the order in the dictionary view for variants that have different types. You change the order of variant types in the configure dictionary view dialog. Click on Variant Forms and use the up and down arrows to change the relative order of the variant types. This should probably get most of what you want.

For example, for entry 'a' I added 5 variants each of different types. They started out in this order by default:
a  (fr. var.  var.b; sp. var.  var.c; pl.  var.a; pst.  var.d) n  gloss -a

When I changed the order in the view dialog I got this:
a  (pst.  var.d; pl.  var.a; sp. var.  var.c; fr. var.  var.b) n  gloss -a

Variants that have the same type seem to have the order in which they were added. If you had too, you could give two distinct types the same abbreviation and re-order these as needed.

Hope that helps,

Ron

Colin Suggett

Sep 13, 2016, 4:24:15 PM9/13/16
to Flexlist
Thanks Ron. This is very helpful.
Colin

Kevin Warfel

Sep 14, 2016, 4:04:12 PM9/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ron,

At first I could not find where in the Configure Dictionary tool I could reorder the different variant types, but finally I discovered it in the parent node of where I expected it to be. Instead of the list being visible when Variant Type is highlighted on the left, it’s only visible when Variant Form (of which Variant Type is a child) is highlighted. What's the logic with that?

Anyway, I’ve found a workaround that suits me for getting my variants in the order I want in the Lexicon Edit view, since I have only a handful of entries with multiple irregularly inflected variants.

If there are no existent variants in the entry and I know I want to add more than one, I simply use the Insert Variant link/function multiple times until I have the number of variants I’ll need. I use something bogus (e.g., aaa) each time in the “Search” box that comes up and I don’t bother adding all of the details to the Variant section until I’ve created all of them. Then I go back and edit what is there, putting the elements in in the order I want them in. (The problem I encountered was that, when inserting a variant, I couldn’t figure out what governed whether the new one was placed above the existing one or below it. I had both things happen, and that’s when it got frustrating for me.)

If the variants exist already in the entry and have data filled in, I just edit the contents of each variant, changing them so that the topmost one contains the details of the variant I want listed first, and so on. This would get quite painful if I had to do it for numerous entries, but in my case, it’s only a handful, so quite doable.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/4c18706a1cc31669eb9a9d084a0ee1c3%40mail.gmail.com.