using Text Constituent Chart Template

Kevin Edgerton

Jun 24, 2015, 3:05:36 PM6/24/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I would like to be able to analyze syntactic structure in Pashto poetry using the Text Constituent Chart Template in FLEx.
1. Will I need to imagine all the possible columns that will be needed and create these before charting a text?
2. Is there a way to get help in analyzing Pashto sentence structure so that I come up with all of the columns that will be needed?  I don't want to start putting in texts and find out later that I need another column and then have to delete the inputted texts.
3. I really need some face-to-face training in FLEx (or maybe there are updated videos).  Is there a way to do a short course in it?
Thank you!
Kevin E.

Gordon Martin

Jun 26, 2015, 10:46:05 AM6/26/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

You don't need to imagine all possible columns ahead of time. While there are a couple of limitations imposed by the program, most of them can be gotten around fairly easily.

What you want to avoid:
  1. You can't delete a column that already has words in it.
  2. You don't want to move a column, especially if it has words in it.

What you can do:

  1. You can rename any column.
  2. You can insert new columns.
  3. Once you've done that, you can move words from a pre-existing column to a newly created columns.

So... while it's a good idea to try and get a basic idea of the larger picture of default sentence structure... the system is fairly flexible. Hopefully, this will be a good learning experience!