Question about Pictures in Pathway

Jeff Siegel

Nov 10, 2015, 6:30:07 AM11/10/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Greetings:

Does anyone know of a way to change the size and position of pictures in Pathway (as one can in Lexique Pro)?

Thanks,

Jeff

GregT

Nov 10, 2015, 9:15:30 AM11/10/15
to FLEx list
Jeff,

The simple way to change size and position in Pathway is to do it in Libre Office after the export. Click the lower left or right corner of the frame including the caption. Then you can move that whole frame with the mouse. If you prefer to use program control, you can right click and use the dialog to position it left or centered or right in the column or frame or page. You have quite a bit of control. You can similarly resize the pictures. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for or are you hoping for something that will change their size and position on every export?

-g

Jeff Siegel

Nov 11, 2015, 7:10:03 AM11/11/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Greg.

I can move the pictures (with some difficulty) in Libre Office and make them smaller and longer. However, I cannot make them wider or reposition them left, right or centre using the dialog. But what I was mainly looking for was something to change their size and position on every export — having a specific width (rather than height), and coming after the entry.

-Jeff

GregT <gtr...@gmail.com>: Nov 10 06:15AM -0800

Kim Blewett (gm)

Nov 11, 2015, 11:51:06 PM11/11/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Pathway places each picture into a "frame" along with its caption. I've found that I have to resize the frame first, then resize the picture to fill it. (I haven't done this with FLEx yet but I assume it works like Pathway's Paratext output.)

To move a picture you must be sure the frame is selected, not just the picture inside the frame. I usually click just below the caption to select the frame, rather than clicking on the picture itself. If you experiment a bit you'll see what I mean. When the frame is selected you may drag it or move it with the arrow keys, or right-click in the frame and choose "Frame" to bring up the Frame properties dialog.

One caution about the "Anchor" spec in Frame Properties: A picture that is attached to a dictionary entry should be anchored to Paragraph or perhaps to Character, not to Page. Objects in LO that are anchored to Page do funny things if you change the page size or repaginate somehow, or if you use LO's Master Document feature.

Kim
--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

David Coward

Nov 16, 2015, 8:51:42 PM11/16/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kim for the clear instructions. I found this to be the case when exporting from Paratext too.

But would also like to up-vote the idea of giving a width and/or height specifications and maybe left, right, center positioning specification too. Because dictionaries are best if exported somewhat frequently and shared. But post-processing is a buzz kill especially after the second or third time reformatting all the illustrations.

If the feature were added to Pathway, it'd benefit both Flex and Paratext users.

David Coward
Konsultan YPMD

Nov 17, 2015, 4:26:40 AM11/17/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I agree. I would like to see more options in Pathway for specifying details about picture placement.
Robert

Beth Bryson

Nov 25, 2015, 9:37:45 AM11/25/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick comment to say that the current work on FLEx is in the area of configuring the dictionary, and there will be at least some changes regarding pictures.  We will keep these ideas in mind as we work on that.

Regarding captions, what is most common in the dictionaries you have worked on?

 - Do you typically have captions, or no captions?
 - Do you create a caption specifically for the picture?
 - Or do you tend to use something like the headword or one of the glosses?  If you use the headword, would you include the sense number in the caption?

-Beth

On Nov 17, 2015, at 4:06 PM, Jeff Siegel wrote:

Many thanks, Kim.
I’d like to strongly support David’s idea that Pathway have some mechanism of setting the size and position of all photos when they’re exported. Currently, the photos seem to be given a standard height, which makes the portrait ones too small compared to the landscape ones. In Lexique Pro, they can be given a standard width, which works much better, and they can be positioned after the entry. The problem with Lexique Pro, though, is that there doesn’t appear to be a way of including captions or of changing the order of information in entries.
-Jeff

David C

Nov 25, 2015, 11:05:58 AM11/25/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Picture Captions

We generally write our own captions; we don’t put in pictures just to show a type of animal or object, rather we include pictures for odd or unusual items or uses of a word, so this requires more than a gloss or headword. E.g. the 2nd sense “rock” in Selaru is a clay baking form used for baking sago into bricks – not really a “rock” at all, but hard enough to be similar to one in the Selaru mind. We include a picture of the form and the caption reads “the rock they make sago in” (which is how it is referred to).

It is nice to optionally provide a way to automatically include the headword and/or sense number – especially useful when printed and the picture needs to be repositioned away from the entry a bit because the entry is at a page break. I see that FLEx provides an optional sense number, but no optional headword. Something to consider.

Excellent work btw with the multi-lingual caption capability!

David Coward

Konsultan YPMD

Indonesia

You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Bruce Hooley

Nov 25, 2015, 5:26:29 PM11/25/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beth
I included captions for the illustrations I inserted in our published dictionary. I created the captions for them, although it was usually just the head word the picture was illustrating.
Bruce

Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: [FLEx] captions (was: Question about Pictures in Pathway)

Robert Hedinger

Nov 26, 2015, 8:46:58 AM11/26/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I created them usually by copy/paste from the headword. What would be very desirable is the option to bulk copy from some field (entry word, gloss, ...) for later editing as necessary. So far caption could not be bulk edited.

Robert

Sent: Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 14:37
--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Oumar Bah

Nov 26, 2015, 1:08:27 PM11/26/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Beth,

can we expect changes in the configuration of examples, like bulk highlighting headwords that appear in examples in bold, italic or underline? I know, we can do that manually for each example, but this is cumbersome and bears the risk of inconsistencies.

Regards
Oumar

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Robert Hedinger

Nov 27, 2015, 4:25:31 AM11/27/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Something like this would be nice to have, and save effort. However, I can also see that it may not be so straightforward. For example, if the entry word is in the singular and the same word in the example sentence is in the plural or some other inflected form it might not work. Also, when you have homonyms there would have to be a way of picking the corresponding form. In other words, I don’t see that it could be a fully automatic process.

But I like the idea.

Robert

Sent: Thursday, 26 November, 2015 18:08

Oumar Bah

Nov 27, 2015, 12:06:05 PM11/27/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
In my concept, the inflected forms would not have to be included!
Oumar

Beth Bryson

Nov 27, 2015, 12:18:24 PM11/27/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
We do have a Jira issue about finding the headword in the example sentence and setting it to a specific style.  I don't know if that will be part of the current work on fixing up the Dictionary Configuration or not.  When we do it, I was hoping we could attempt to do it automatically, rather than by means of Bulk Edit.

Both of you have listed helpful considerations that we need to take into account:
 - If it happens automatically, the user needs to be able to then adjust it on a per-example basis (make it not apply, or apply it to something it didn't automatically apply to).
 - Should it apply to inflected forms or not.

This is good input, and it will help us when we do get to work on it.

-Beth

Kim Blewett (gm)

Nov 27, 2015, 6:32:00 PM11/27/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Could there be a Configuration default choice for captions? Check boxes perhaps, something like:

  ___ use headword
  ___ apply to inflected forms
  ___ leave blank

Then also it needs to be adjustable per example.

Thanks for working on this!!
Kim