Exegeting reduplication info text 2

Kari Valkama

Mar 19, 2018, 4:21:36 AM3/19/18
to Flex List
Hi,

Another question concerning the Reduplication info text.

It says (emphasis mine):
Alternatively, if you will have multiple morphemes that fully duplicate the stem they attach to, enter the word Reduplication (or similar) in the Lexeme Form box, indicate that the lexeme form is an abstract form, and then enter -[…] as an allomorph.”

How does one indicate that the lexeme form is an abstract form?
(Or enter -[…] as an allomorph?)

Here is a screenshot:

I do not see any place where one could indicate that the lexeme is an abstract form.
From the instructions one would assume that it is somewhere close to the Lexeme From box, since the next instruction concerns the morpheme type box, which is the next item just below.

Following the link in the info text (abstract form), one is taken to a Lexeme entry pane and if one clicks the show hidden fields, then the check box "Is Abstract Form" appears. But that is not in the New Entry dialogue box!

Is this a case where an earlier version of the program had a check box in the New Entry dialogue box and the help file was written accordingly, but then the program was changed and the check box was removed but the info text remained the same?

Anyway, I would like to suggest that a check box be inserted where the info text says it should be.
Also, since it is a check box one should click, it would be helpful, if this were stated explicitly. Now the text says "indicate that the lexeme form is an abstract form”, which is rather vague.
One could say:
Alternatively, if you will have multiple morphemes that fully duplicate the stem they attach to, enter the word Reduplication (or similar) in the Lexeme Form box, click the check box ”Is abstract form”, and then enter -[…] as an allomorph.”

By the way, there does not seem to be a place in the New Entry dialogue box to enter "-[…] as an allomorph.”
So, it seems to me that the info text assumes that one jumps between the New Entry dialogue box and the Lexeme entry pane, without saying that. It is confusing to jump between different areas and it is more confusing that it is not explicitly said that one should jump. It would be good to change the program so, that one is able to complete the reduplication set-up in one place and change the info files according to that.

Yours,
Kari

Kevin Warfel

Mar 19, 2018, 8:17:47 AM3/19/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kari,

As I just wrote in response to your previous post, neither the “Is Abstract Form” checkbox nor that Allomorph field is accessible in the New Entry dialog. You have to do these things after having created the entry.

Blessings,

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary and Lexicography Services Coordinator

a.k.a. Dictionary Development Coordinator

SIL International

Current technology makes it possible to provide those translating into just about any language with both a dictionary and a thesaurus in the target language, the standard tools of the trade for professional translators, so why are mother-tongue translators in minority languages still expected to do their work without these tools?  Ask me about Rapid Word Collection after reading about it at rapidwords.net.

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.