Re: [FLEx] Digest for flex-list@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Jeff Siegel

Nov 17, 2015, 5:06:35 PM11/17/15
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Kim.
I’d like to strongly support David’s idea that Pathway have some mechanism of setting the size and position of all photos when they’re exported. Currently, the photos seem to be given a standard height, which makes the portrait ones too small compared to the landscape ones. In Lexique Pro, they can be given a standard width, which works much better, and they can be positioned after the entry. The problem with Lexique Pro, though, is that there doesn’t appear to be a way of including captions or of changing the order of information in entries.
-Jeff

From: <flex...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "flex...@googlegroups.com" <flex...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, 18 November 2015 7:57 am
To: "flex...@googlegroups.com" <flex...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [FLEx] Digest for flex...@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

David Coward <saumla...@gmail.com>: Nov 16 08:51PM -0500

Thanks Kim for the clear instructions. I found this to be the case when exporting from Paratext too.

But would also like to up-vote the idea of giving a width and/or height specifications and maybe left, right, center positioning specification too. Because dictionaries are best if exported somewhat frequently and shared. But post-processing is a buzz kill especially after the second or third time reformatting all the illustrations.

If the feature were added to Pathway, it'd benefit both Flex and Paratext users.

David Coward
Konsultan YPMD

Feb 16, 2018, 11:51:36 AM2/16/18
to FLEx list
Yes, we have on our backlog the idea of adding the ability to size and position pictures. I think one SIL entity does this by adding a custom field to Flex with this information. Somehow, that didn't seem like a long term extensible solution. It would really be great if the FieldWorks data model contained this information.

An interim solution I have considered since Flex 8.3.x has come out is that the overrides file contains css commands to specify the size and position of pictures. If this solution was used, we would still need to adjust Pathway to expect this information and use it to size and position the pictures.

A less satisfying hack would be to include a specification in an extra writing system on the caption that Pathway would look for and remove and use to size and position pictures.

Speaking of picture metadata, there is also a request to include rights information with each picture the way Bloom does and some other software.

Jonathan Dailey

Feb 16, 2018, 1:35:52 PM2/16/18
to FLEx List
What if we also had svg as a valid file type for pictures?  It is native xml.

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
To change your status, please write to flex_d...@sil.org.
You can join this group by going to http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list.

---

SIL International