Testing GRPC + flatbuffers

jean baptiste Dalido

Jan 9, 2017, 3:58:56 PM1/9/17
to FlatBuffers
Hi guys,

I'm trying GRPC with flatbuffers tonight, and i don't understand one thing. My setup is simple for now:
- generating some flatbuffers table reading logs
- getting the []byte of the message
- sending those byte to Kafka
- reading those byte to send them to a client via a stream

That's where i'm confused, im getting my []byte from kafka, those represent a Flatbuffers Table, from there it's ok i can access it etc ..
BUT, the grpc interface is asking me to send() back a *flatbuffers.Builder to my client. (Send(* flatbuffers.Builder) error)

Do i have to rebuild the []byte i already have to get a builder again ? Why dont we just send an []byte or directly a typed struct ?
Or is there something i'm missing.

I'm a bit lost if someone could just hint me on what to do i would be grateful, many thanks !

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Jan 9, 2017, 6:25:48 PM1/9/17
to jean baptiste Dalido, FlatBuffers, ronak jain
The Go implementation is very new, so it may have problems. I would agree that sending a []byte is much more flexible than requiring a builder, so this should be fixed. Can you open an issue for it on github? Mention @JRonak who is the author of the Go GRPC interface.

Ronak Jain

Jan 10, 2017, 12:38:55 PM1/10/17
to FlatBuffers, jbda...@gmail.com
I totally agree with sending []byte is a much more flexible way, will get on it asap. Thanks for heads up Wouter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flatbuffers...@googlegroups.com.

Constantine Vassilev

Feb 26, 2021, 2:35:01 PM2/26/21
to FlatBuffers

How we can do it now/ Is is already implemented?