grpc/golang with flatbuffers

Giang Tran

Aug 30, 2016, 5:16:57 AM8/30/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi!
I'm trying grpc with flatbuffer 1.4 (golang), a small test

namespace fzhello;
table
HelloReq {
    message
: string;
}

table
HelloResp {
    response
: string;
}
rpc_service
FzHello {

SayHello(HelloReq): HelloResp;
}

flatc --go --grpc fzhello/fzhello.idl

But it generate me some C++ RPC interface file instead of Go. So what should I do?

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Aug 31, 2016, 2:21:05 PM8/31/16
to Giang Tran, FlatBuffers, Harsh Vardhan
Currently, only C++ is supported. Python is being worked on, and I suggest Java & Go be next. Harsh is the one currently working on it (cc-ed).

Harsh Vardhan

Aug 31, 2016, 2:42:34 PM8/31/16
to FlatBuffers
Hi Giang!

As Wouter said, only C++ is supported yet. I'm currently working on adding support for Python. Go and Java are next. :)

Giang Tran

Aug 31, 2016, 9:13:54 PM8/31/16
to FlatBuffers
OK, thank you.

Piyush Mishra

Dec 6, 2016, 2:55:08 AM12/6/16
to FlatBuffers
Has there been some progress on this?

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Dec 7, 2016, 12:27:38 PM12/7/16
to Piyush Mishra, FlatBuffers
Yes, actually Go support was just merged: https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/commit/a31ddd2bb38f719996137c9c35bc702f2abaefa5

Try it out and give us some feedback :)

Piyush Mishra

Dec 8, 2016, 8:22:21 AM12/8/16
to Wouter van Oortmerssen, FlatBuffers
I just tried it. It Works! YAY! :D

How does one define a client/server stream? Is that supported?

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Dec 12, 2016, 12:26:47 PM12/12/16
to Piyush Mishra, FlatBuffers
That's good to know :)

Streaming should be supported. As you can see in the example rpc_service, you can specify (streaming: "client") (or "server", or "bidi", or "none").