Protobuff to Flatbuffer conversion.

Gaurav Jain

May 6, 2016, 6:28:35 AM5/6/16
to FlatBuffers
I have a fully loaded distributed system, having data stored in the form of protobuffer serialized objects. Since Flatbuffers is space efficient and cost effective (no serialization and deserialization) way of storing and retrieving data. I wanted to give a try by replacing protobuf to Flatbuffer. I can convert the code using Flatbuffer style object creation but the old (stored) data is still in the form of Protobuffs. I can't go ahead and scan all the data because it will severly impact the running workload on the system. Also i can't proceed with more than one conversion at a time because of RF issues.

Any suggestion/ideas to proceed with this issue ? Do we have some tool/framework which does this data conversion ?

mikkelfj

May 7, 2016, 12:49:08 AM5/7/16
to FlatBuffers

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 12:28:35 PM UTC+2, Gaurav Jain wrote:
I have a fully loaded distributed system, having data stored in the form of protobuffer serialized objects. Since Flatbuffers is space efficient and cost effective (no serialization and deserialization) way of storing and retrieving data. I wanted to give a try by replacing protobuf to Flatbuffer. I can convert the code using Flatbuffer style object creation but the old (stored) data is still in the form of Protobuffs. I can't go ahead and scan all the data because it will severly impact the running workload on the system. Also i can't proceed with more than one conversion at a time because of RF issues.

Any suggestion/ideas to proceed with this issue ? Do we have some tool/framework which does this data conversion ?

This was asked not long ago. The best option is probably via JSON import/export.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

May 20, 2016, 8:24:51 PM5/20/16
to mikkelfj, FlatBuffers
It is hard to know how to do bulk conversion without knowing your system.

For converting a single buffer, you'd either need handwritten code, or through JSON like Mikkel said.