Migrating from Protobuf: how to parse a Protobuf to a Flatbuffer?

hbf

Nov 14, 2015, 10:14:34 PM11/14/15
to FlatBuffers
Hey all,

Version 1.1 introduced that fantastic --proto option to convert an existing .proto (Protobuf) definition to a Flatbuffers definition. That easies the migration a lot!

I'm wondering whether there's an easy way to convert Protobuf instances to Flatbuffer instances?

Thanks!
Hbf

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Nov 16, 2015, 8:02:32 PM11/16/15
to hbf, FlatBuffers
Sadly there is no functionality for that.

Note that the functionality of the .proto parsing was greatly improved recently (in 1.2 I believe). Regardless, as good as it is, it is not perfect, and for some things it still needs human attention.

Which is why a binary translation would be quite complicated, since there you can't afford any mismatches.

One way around it might be if there's a protobuf binary to json translator, then you could import that back into FlatBuffers.