Flapjack 1.5.0 released

Jesse Reynolds

Apr 1, 2015, 10:37:37 PM4/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Flapjack 1.5.0 has been released, including packages for Ubuntu Precise and Trusty, Debian Wheezy, and CentOS 6.

Changes since the previous release, 1.4.0:

• Feature: Expose failure delay (#748) in JSONAPI check report status #827 (@Hobbsee)
• Feature: Split up internal metrics api endpoints #828 (@jessereynolds)
• Bug: fail on rule with invalid regex (fixes #819) #820 (@ali-graham)
• Bug: Checks array missing from entities endpoint on API in Flapjack 1.4.0 #823 (@Hobbsee)

Details on installation from our package repositories are at http://packages.flapjack.io/

You can easily test the new version of Flapjack along with Icinga, Nagios, and now Sensu using vagrant-flapjack - https://github.com/flapjack/vagrant-flapjack/ - just bring your own Vagrant and Virtualbox (or VMWare Fusion). Or if you’re Docker-inclined look at the Dockerfile within a checkout of the v1.5.0 tag of https://github.com/flapjack/flapjack

Cheers,
Jesse

John Knepper

Sep 1, 2015, 5:42:52 PM9/1/15
to flapjack
Hey, Jesse -

     Just seeing if you could provide an guidance / assistance on AWS SES configuration using Flapjack as the email client (presumably).  Seeing the notifications in the log, etc, but doesn't seem to be reaching me.  Thanks for any help in advance!

Michael Holt

Sep 1, 2015, 5:47:42 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
This is actually a known issue, if you refer to github the issue can be found at https://github.com/flapjack/flapjack/issues/829

I've spent some time trying to resolve it but due to higher priority projects this has been put on the back burner for me.  Would love to see it get fixed at some point

Real Life Church

Michael Holt / IT Administrator
(661) 705-4711/ mh...@reallifechurch.org

Real Life Church Office: (661) 775-7401
23841 Newhall Ranch Rd
Valencia, CA 91355

http://www.reallifechurch.org

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Company Name is not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

--

---

John Knepper

Sep 1, 2015, 5:59:57 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks - Mike.

     Would this apply to regular email alerts?  Do I need to install a mail server in order to get Flapjack to work with Gmail?  I tried that as well, but ended up having the same issue.  Thanks!

--

---

John Knepper

Michael Holt

Sep 1, 2015, 7:56:22 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while since i've set flapjack up and I don't currently have a working system to post examples but here's some pointers:

in your /etc/flapjack/flapjack_config.toml file (example at https://github.com/flapjack/flapjack/blob/master/etc/flapjack_config.toml.example) edit line 62 to say "true"
then everything under that will be what you configure for your smtp setup

[...]

John Knepper

Sep 1, 2015, 8:33:36 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Mike -

     Thanks, and I appreciate the time and effort!  I did enable it for the default development section, and added the following settings, but they still show alerting but nothing happens as far as emails showing up are concerned...

 gateways:

    # Generates email notifications

    email:

      enabled: yes

      # the redis queue this pikelet will look for notifications on

      queue: email_notifications

      logger:

        level: DEBUG

        syslog_errors: yes

      # these values are passed directly through to EventMachine::Protocols::SmtpClient configuration,

      # and can be omitted if the defaults are acceptable

      smtp_config:

        from: "non-criti...@noreply.com"

        reply_to: "redact...@support.example"

        host: tls://smtp.gmail.com

        # 1025 is the default port for http://mailcatcher.me

        port: 587

        starttls: true

        auth:

          type: 'plain'

          username: "reda...@redacted.com"

          password: "redacted"

      # location of custom alert templates

Michael Holt

Sep 1, 2015, 9:31:01 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Remove tls:// from the smtp host

John Knepper

Sep 1, 2015, 9:33:17 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Will try this.  Thanks, Mike!!

John Knepper

Sep 1, 2015, 9:54:02 PM9/1/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, still no bueno. :/

It is trying though:

notifications.log

2015-09-02 01:49:28 +0000 | sensu-devops-qa-test:check-redacted-api | problem | 21 | sms | redacted

2015-09-02 01:49:28 +0000 | sensu-devops-qa-test:check-redacted-api | problem | 21 | email | redacted

Flapjack.log:

2015-09-02T01:49:28.031177+00:00 [INFO] :: flapjack-notifier :: Enqueueing email alert for sensu-devops-qa-test:check-albatross-api to <redacted email> type: problem rollup: -

--
John Knepper

Jesse Reynolds

Sep 2, 2015, 8:46:33 PM9/2/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

The email gateway sends ok via gmail for me. You should be seeing some logging entries from the flapjack-email gateway in your flapjack.log like the following if you set the gateway to debug logging level:

2015-09-03T10:39:14.292076+10:00 [INFO] :: flapjack-notifier :: Enqueueing email alert for foo-app-01:HTTP to reda...@gmail.com type: test rollup: -
2015-09-03T10:39:14.292677+10:00 [DEBUG] :: flapjack-email :: flapjack_mailer: set from to Flapjack Example <flap...@noreply.example>
2015-09-03T10:39:14.294813+10:00 [DEBUG] :: flapjack-email :: preparing email to: reda...@gmail.com, subject: Test: 'HTTP' on foo-app-01, message-id: <70115849361040-1...@So-Much-For-Subtlety.local>
2015-09-03T10:39:21.252774+10:00 [INFO] :: flapjack-email :: Sent alert successfully: Alert via email:redacted@gmail.com to contact 8d5fd668-b4c4-481b-84be-9db4e5910110 (Ada Lovelace): Test - 'HTTP' on foo-app-01 - testing, testing, 1, 2, 3
2015-09-03T10:39:21.252914+10:00 [DEBUG] :: flapjack-email :: Email response: #<OpenStruct start_time=2015-09-03 10:39:14 +1000, elapsed_time=6.705684, responder=:receive_message_response, code=250, message=["2.0.0 OK 1441240760 lo10sm23125154pab.16 - gsmtp"]>
2015-09-03T10:39:21.252948+10:00 [DEBUG] :: flapjack-email :: email gateway is going into blpop mode on email_notifications

Could you please do a ‘grep flapjack-email flapjack.log’ to see if you see anything coming from the email gateway?

Here’s the email gateway config I’m running with. Note also the above is with sending to an @gmail.com email address, have you tried sending just to a gmail address?

  gateways:
    email:
      enabled: yes
      queue: email_notifications
      smtp_config:
        from: "Flapjack Example <flap...@noreply.example>"
        reply_to: "flap...@support.example"
        host: smtp.gmail.com
        port: 587
        starttls: true
        auth:
          type: :plain
          username: “reda...@gmail.com"
          password: “redacted"
      logger:
        level: DEBUG

Cheers
Jesse

John Knepper

Sep 2, 2015, 10:42:31 PM9/2/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Jesse -

    Turns out it was a stupid error on my part, and I thought that it took the "development" section from the YAML config by default if you didn't set the flapjack environment variable (?).  Is this true?  Nonetheless, I got an alert, and it appears to be working.  Much thanks kind sir!

Jesse Reynolds

Sep 2, 2015, 11:47:03 PM9/2/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Production is the default environment, so unless you set FLAPJACK_ENV to something else, “production” is what it’ll use.

Cheers
Jesse

John Knepper

Sep 2, 2015, 11:50:49 PM9/2/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
I apologize, Jesse.  Thanks a lot for your help!!

Jesse Reynolds

Sep 3, 2015, 2:36:20 AM9/3/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
No need to apologise :-) It is confusing having multiple environment support in the config. This has been removed from v2.

Cheers

John Knepper

Oct 3, 2015, 2:42:55 PM10/3/15
to flapjack
Hi, Jesse -

     Looking at flapjack API I am having difficulty removing / deleting maintenance windows that are taken out of the 100 years default in the flapjack config...  Would you be able to provide a working example off an entity ID to do so?  I would essentially be looping over entities, and removing all the maintenance windows in a BASH script, or hopefully there is a way to get this to work in the config:

    # Flapjack sets scheduled maintenance on new check results so contacts aren't

    # notified as soon as Flapjack becomes aware of an entity to notify on.

    # This is useful is cases where your monitoring starts checking something

    # before it is completely provisioned

    # Value parsed by https://github.com/hpoydar/chronic_duration

    # You can disable this setting by specifying "0 seconds".

    new_check_scheduled_maintenance_duration: "0 seconds"

John Knepper

Oct 12, 2015, 9:51:54 AM10/12/15
to flapjack
Jesse,

     I know you are super busy, but any chance you have gotten a chance to look at this and could I potentially help you on this project?  I have a lot of spare cycles in my evenings.  Thanks!

Jesse Reynolds

Jan 7, 2016, 2:39:38 AM1/7/16
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com

> On 13 Oct 2015, at 12:21 am, John Knepper <knep...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jesse,
>
> I know you are super busy, but any chance you have gotten a chance to look at this and could I potentially help you on this project? I have a lot of spare cycles in my evenings. Thanks!

We’d love help on Flapjack! Jump into any of the open issues and start submitting PRs :-) Ask questions here or in tickets and hopefully someone can get back to you faster than I’ve managed to here!

Cheers
Jesse