Gem install ?

Johan Thomas

Feb 1, 2017, 2:28:14 PM2/1/17
to flapjack
Hi all,
i would like to try flapjack but the doc is very light.

I'm using a gem install of version 2 in a CentOS 7 OS.
I dont know how to start it and how to start redis (if it include it ??)
Can you explain ?

I would like to use it with sensu and notify with slack etc
Thanks in advance
Johan

Jesse Reynolds

Feb 1, 2017, 9:45:17 PM2/1/17
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
Hi Johan,

The packages for flapjack v1 include Redis and everything else, they are designed to get you up and running quickly.

We have not produced packages for flapjack v2 at this point. So, if you install from a ruby gem, you’ll need to install all the required pre-requisites yourself, including redis.

The Flapjack quickstart for v1 may be helpful: http://flapjack.io/docs/1.0/usage/quickstart/

In terms of stopping and starting if you are installing from a ruby gem, you won’t have any system init scripts installed, but have a look here:

and scroll down to Startup and Shutdown

Cheers
Jesse

--

---

Johan Thomas

Feb 2, 2017, 4:08:22 AM2/2/17
to flapjack
Hi,
thanks for your response !
In your opinion what is the best ? starting with v1 or with v2 ?

Thanks !

Jesse Reynolds

Feb 2, 2017, 4:10:15 AM2/2/17
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
You’re welcome.

I would say start with v1 as you can just install the package and everything will be running.

v2 is largely re-architected internally but it hasn’t been battle tested (to my knowledge) and there’s the obstacle of no packages.

Cheers
Jesse

Johan Thomas

Feb 2, 2017, 9:09:40 AM2/2/17
to flapjack
I have tried to install rpm package on my CentOS 7 test machine but no luck... it failed when starting with :
/opt/flapjack/embedded/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in `to_specs': Could not find flapjack (>= 0) amongst [activemodel-5.0.1, activesupport-5.0.1, ...

But i have success in installing v2 :) Now i try to make slack work but it fails too...
Flapjack starting...
error: undefined method `new' for nil:NilClass

If you have an idea ?

Jesse Reynolds

Feb 3, 2017, 6:44:30 AM2/3/17

On 2 Feb 2017, at 22:09, Johan Thomas <joth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have tried to install rpm package on my CentOS 7 test machine but no luck... it failed when starting with :
/opt/flapjack/embedded/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in `to_specs': Could not find flapjack (>= 0) amongst [activemodel-5.0.1, activesupport-5.0.1, ...

Could you give us the command line you ran to start it and he full resulting output?

But i have success in installing v2 :) Now i try to make slack work but it fails too...
Flapjack starting...
error: undefined method `new' for nil:NilClass

Again, command you ran and the full output may provide more clues.