Extending the Web UI

Jonas Bergler

Aug 26, 2015, 5:48:48 AM8/26/15
to flapjack

Hey Flapjackers,

We're in the process of bringing flapjack into our monitoring setup and along the way there have been a few things I've thought would be useful so I've started adding them in our local copy.

I wanted to ask what the general path forward with 2.0 is and how interested the maintainers are in pull requests for adding these features.

I haven't really found much in regards to getting a copy of 2.0 running (and haven't really go the time to figure it out at the moment) so any PR's would likely be against 1.x.

Most of the changes I've made are realtively minor.

The most useful is a timeline graph showing recent state changes.

-- Jonas

Ali Graham

Aug 28, 2015, 5:42:04 AM8/28/15
to flapjack...@googlegroups.com
On 26/08/15 01:17, Jonas Bergler wrote:
> Hey Flapjackers,

Hi Jonas!

> We're in the process of bringing flapjack into our monitoring setup and
> along the way there have been a few things I've thought would be useful
> so I've started adding them in our local copy.
>
> I wanted to ask what the general path forward with 2.0 is and how
> interested the maintainers are in pull requests for adding these features.

The main path forward with v2.0 for the web UI is setting it up as an
API client, so as it ships it will be using flapjack-diner internally.
This will ensure that any functionality we expose in the UI is also
available via the API and will hopefully encourage people better than us
at front-end design to write some better integrations for it :)

The API in v2 complies with JSONAPI v1.0 and is much better at providing
a decent remote data query interface, so this is a viable strategy, but
v1.x will continue with its direct data access.

> I haven't really found much in regards to getting a copy of 2.0 running
> (and haven't really go the time to figure it out at the moment) so any
> PR's would likely be against 1.x.

I'm currently rewriting our internal integrations at work to run against
Flapjack v2.0 and shake out remaining bugs, and make it closer to
release-worthy. Once that's done (another week or so?), pre-release
gems/packages will go out and then documentation (and any bugs found)
will be the blockers for the final release.

Major PRs for the v1.x line would probably just be ported forward, but
non-disruptive small features can still go in at least up until the full
release of v2.0, and we can port to master as required... we'll probably
not do any more development on the v1.x line after the v2.0 release,
bugfixes only.

> Most of the changes I've made are realtively minor.
>
> The most useful is a timeline graph showing recent state changes.

Looks great :) I did some UI graphing experiments at one point, but they
depended on an experimental branch storing historical data in InfluxDB
0.8, which has languished for a while...

Regards,

Ali.