Ideas for improving performance

Jon Grant

Nov 3, 2015, 1:49:20 PM11/3/15
to Flambe
having issue on devices like iphone 4 with performance drops - any general hints on where you may have eeked out better performance for lower end devices?

Mark Knol

Nov 3, 2015, 4:03:31 PM11/3/15
to Flambe
I use Flump for all my assets/animations. You can export it at different resolutions. I always use 3 scales, 100%, 75% and 50%. You have to apply the scale manually on each sprite creation, i calculate the best scale based on resolution and devicepixel ratios. In general this improves the performance quite a lot, since rendering is most of the times the bottleneck.

Jon Grant

Nov 3, 2015, 6:13:49 PM11/3/15
to Flambe
OK - so BaseScale is 1, .75, .5 - do you worry about changing the value in the ScaleFactors column?

Mark Knol

Nov 9, 2015, 4:52:04 PM11/9/15
to Flambe
No, I believe only the basescale is used in Flambe's Flump runtime. I think the other will give a warn in debug-build.

Jon Grant

Nov 10, 2015, 2:38:11 PM11/10/15
to Flambe
Cool - I just set Flump up to export a 100% build and a 75% build to the same assetpack then only load only the 100% assets for desktop and only the 75% for mobile. Seems to help a bit on performance - definitely a nice reduction of memory being used.

Mark Knol

Nov 20, 2015, 4:23:57 PM11/20/15
to Flambe
So how is the performance now?

Jon Grant

Nov 20, 2015, 4:35:53 PM11/20/15
to Flambe
It is a bit better.  I think the issue might be that I have a good bit of nesting in character clips, which might be slowing it down.  With a current project I'm trying to make the asset stacks less deep.  Hoping this will also help with the Flump JSON size which is getting out of control