Current version of Exiftool lacks support for huge JP2 box format

Thomas Pulhamus

Oct 13, 2015, 1:36:53 PM10/13/15
to fits-users
Hi.

Not sure what version of Exiftool is rolled into FITS by I recently came across this Exiftool forum post

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,6738.0.html

Basically, ExifTool 10.02, the most current version, does not support the huge JP2 box format that is part of the JPEG2K spec. Exiftool returns a warning
"Warning : Can't currently handle huge JPEG 2000 boxes" when it encounters such a box but otherwise reads out no information from it.

I tried out the sample JP2 image mentioned in the forum post
(http://www.loc.gov/ndnp/guidelines/examples.html) with FITS and it reports neither the
warning or the metadata in the image. According to the forum post, Phil Harvey will add support for the huge JP2 box format in the next version of Exiftool, 10.03.

Perhaps an update of the tools included in FITS is in order?

Best,

Tom