installing fits 10.1

Pier House Studios

Mar 26, 2016, 7:08:10 AM3/26/16
to fits-users
Dear FITS team,

I installed the latest version 10.1

On attempting to run I received an immediate error message about not initialising "edu.harvard.hul etc etc"
I could only make the application work by copying fits.jar from my previous version into the lib folder.

The application will run and produce xml files but still has error messages which suggest I have failed to install it correctly.

The Java version I use is 1.8 0-60

Please could you advise on how to install correctly, the readme was excellent but required an understanding of Java which I would prefer to leave unacquired!

Kind Regards,

Peter

David Birtwell

Mar 28, 2016, 9:39:08 AM3/28/16
to fits-users
Peter:

I believe this particular build was tested thoroughly on both a Mac and Windows 7 environment.

Please answer a few questions, so we can decide what might be the cause of your problems:

1) What is the Operating System you are using (Mac, Windows, etc.), and which version of the OS are you using?

2) How are you invoking FITS ... that is, what is the command line argument you are using?

3) How did you install FITS? Did you unzip the distribution to a folder where you have complete rights and do you have execution rights to all files in FITS?

4) What is the exact stack trace of the error. This is the full error message.

5) What type of file are you trying to analyze?

There is a Quick Start guide at:

as well as other details available (more than you really care about) at:

Thanks,

Dave B.

David Birtwell

Mar 28, 2016, 9:45:06 AM3/28/16
to fits-users
Also, another question... where did you get the FITS release? Did you grab it from the official release page:

If you grabbed it from GitHub (the source location), this does not include the fits.jar file any longer, as this is for developers who build there own release.

Thanks,

Dave B.

Pier House Studios

Mar 28, 2016, 3:24:49 PM3/28/16
to fits-users
Dear Dave,

thank you for your kind reply.

Your second post had the answer, I originally installed from the 1st link (GitHub) without appreciating the significance of this.
On using the official site version (with fits.jar) all is well.

I had seen the readme but I read the FAQ and since I use Mediainfo, latest version 0.7.83, I will roll it back to the version FITS is using 0.7.75.
Again, thanks for a useful tip.

With kind regards,

Peter