Data Accessioner Metadata - no 'date created'

Ashley T

Jan 30, 2018, 3:44:42 PM1/30/18
to fits-users
Hello,
I am  testing different digital preservation tools to see what might best fit our needs. In doing testing with Data Accessioner, I noticed that the FITS/Premis metadata that it creates includes only 'date modified' for each file. It does not include 'date created'. Is this some sort of glitch within Data Accessioner? Is there a different tool that will give me file metadata that includes creation date?

Thank you!
Ashley

dne...@g.harvard.edu

Jan 30, 2018, 4:38:40 PM1/30/18
to fits-users
Hello,

While not familiar with Data Accessioner, and how it uses FITS, FITS itself does have the capability to generate metadata for the file creation date. Depending on the type of input file, this datum might be extracted by different tool(s) aggregated into FITS. For example, when processing a TIFF file, the Exiftool extracts this information into the <fileinfo> section of the FITS output.

Example:
<created toolname="Exiftool" toolversion="10.00" status="SINGLE_RESULT">2005:12:15 10:56:19-05:00</created>

A JPEG has this extracted by the NLNZ Metadata Extractor tool.

Sometimes it's other tools that access this data. However, it's possible that FITS does not always pull this datum out from every embedded tool even though it might be available in that tool's output metadata. In order to see which tools output the creation date it's necessary to turn on tool output in the fits.xml config file. It would be the following line:
<display-tool-output>true</display-tool-output>

I hope this is helpful.

The FITS development team