filestatus section Not Exported

Alessandro Amodio

Mar 6, 2017, 5:15:09 AM3/6/17
to fits-users
Hi,

I'm new to FITS. At the moment I'm evaluating it as an alternative to Jhove 1.1.4.

In my tests, with the libtiff sample collection (various flavors of tiff files), I have found FITS 1.0.6 (run on a Mac OS 10.9.5, with Java SE build 1.8.0_121-b13) doesn't output the filestatus section. It is empty (i.e. <filestatus />).

I'm mainly interested in error and warning messages from Jhove.

Reading from the manual I understand this section normally is exported by default.

What's wrong?

Thanks,
A.

Alessandro Amodio

Mar 6, 2017, 6:43:49 AM3/6/17
to fits-users

Andrea Goethals

Mar 6, 2017, 11:04:34 AM3/6/17
to fits-...@googlegroups.com, Alessandro Amodio
Hi Alessandro,

Those filestatus values that FITS will output come from Jhove's output. If Jhove didn't contribute to the identification of the format (TIFF EXIF in these 2 samples), then those values are not output.

If you are only interested in Jhove's status values than its much more efficient to just use Jhove. But if you also are interested in the other FITS values (especially if you need to process formats not supported by Jhove) than you could do this: In the main FITS configuration file (look for fits.xml in the xml directory) change this:

<display-tool-output>false</display-tool-output> to

<display-tool-output>true</display-tool-output>

This makes FITS output the raw tool output as well as its aggregated version and you will always be able to see what Jhove said about the status.

Andrea

Amodio Alessandro

Mar 6, 2017, 11:36:44 AM3/6/17
to a...@aandw.net, fits-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrea,

thank you for your reply. I'm testing FITS because the limitation of Jhove file formats support.

I tried your suggestion but the filestatus is still not populated (by the way the output XML is still the same, no other raw data are embedded with option display-tool-output = true).

The strange thing is that, with standalone Jhove 1.11, I'm able to extract this piece of information.

So It appears to be an issue related the FITS parsing of Jhove result.

Thanks.
A.

Andrea Goethals

Mar 6, 2017, 11:59:29 AM3/6/17
to fits-...@googlegroups.com, amodio.a...@gmail.com
Hi Alessandro,

Yes - the filestatus won't be populated because Jhove wasn't one of the tools that identified these 2 images as TIFF EXIF.

If you change the fits.xml configuration file as I described though you can get the raw Jhove output for those files.

I'm attaching the output for quad-tile with fits v. 1.0.4 and the tool output enabled. In the raw output for Jhove it has:

<tool name="Jhove" version="1.11">
      <repInfo xmlns="" uri="/Applications/Fits/fits-1.0.4/../../Testfiles/quad-tile.tif">
        <reportingModule release="1.7" date="2012-08-12">TIFF-hul</reportingModule>
        <lastModified>2017-03-06T10:47:59-05:00</lastModified>
        <size>209220</size>
        <format>TIFF</format>
        <version>6.0</version>
        <status>Well-Formed, but not valid</status>

Enabling this output means that you can always see what Jhove said for validity and well-formedness, even if it didn't contribute to the identified format. I hope that makes sense.

Andrea
quad-tile_output.xml

Amodio Alessandro

Mar 6, 2017, 12:53:24 PM3/6/17
to Neiman, David, fits-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

thank you for your explanation. Now I understand better the FITS architecture.

But It is unclear to me why the embedded Exiftool identifies these two TIFF files as JPEGs. They are TIFFs and my standalone Exiftool v. 10.36 identifies them correctly as TIFFs. They are not even compressed with JPEG.

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
A.

Il giorno 06/mar/2017, alle ore 18:29, Neiman, David <david_...@harvard.edu> ha scritto:

Hi Alessandro,

Just to concur and elaborate a bit, earlier versions of FITS had several tools identify the two input files in questions as format="Tagged Image File Format".
Now, with the most recent release, Exiftool identifies the two input files as format=”JPEG EXIF” which is a more specific format type. Thus, FITS only gathers metadata from tools of the most specific format. Previously this included Jhove. Now it includes only output from Exiftool.

If you’d like to see the Jhove metadata in the FITS output you also have the option of commenting out Exiftool in the <tools> section of the fits.xml file.
<!--
<tool class="edu.harvard.hul.ois.fits.tools.exiftool.Exiftool" …. />
-->

I hope this is helpful,
David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to fits-users+...@googlegroups.com.

Andrea Goethals

Mar 6, 2017, 3:32:53 PM3/6/17
to fits-...@googlegroups.com
This was answered off-list but in case anyone on the list was interested, TIFF EXIF was meant (not JPEG EXIF).

Amodio Alessandro

Mar 7, 2017, 3:15:28 AM3/7/17
to Neiman, David, fits-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

ok, I see, clear, just another question: does FITS gives priority to Exiftool and exclude all Jhove results because It returns more accurate results. Is it right? Why valorize the format element as “TIFF EXIF” and not simply as TIFF with its number version?

Commenting out Exitool from the active tools (or adding "tif" as an extension to exclude) causes FITS to hang with only one image to parse.

Thanks.
A.

Il giorno 06/mar/2017, alle ore 19:07, Neiman, David <david_...@harvard.edu> ha scritto:

Hi Alessandro,

My mistake. I meant “TIFF EXIF”. The FITS file identification section is as follows:

    <identity format="TIFF EXIF" mimetype="image/tiff" toolname="FITS" toolversion="1.0.6">
      <tool toolname="Exiftool" toolversion="10.00" />
    </identity>

-David

Amodio Alessandro

Mar 7, 2017, 3:19:43 AM3/7/17