Suggestions for augmentation of audio info

Joey Heinen

Mar 4, 2016, 4:07:55 PM3/4/16
to fits-users
Hi there-

I am doing some closer inspection of FITS on audio files and came across a recent issue. Our Fedora repository does not recognize mp3 files as such if they do not have a Writing Library associated with the file (as is detected by MediaInfo as a standalone tool, e.g. Writing Library : Lavf57.27.100) and are instead recognized as octet strings and stored as a ZIP file. In addition to perhaps analyzing this Writing Library information, I'm also wondering if it would also be possible to add codec info (FITS reports two files as "MPEG 1/2 Audio Layer 3" while MediaInfo notes that one file is "MPA1L3" and the other as "MPEG Audio"...the former was recognized as an octet string while the other was recognized as a valid mp3). I should mention that MediaInfo did not run at all when using FITS on these files but that most technical metadata was instead generated by NLNZ Metadata Extractor. It will be important to us to use FITS to pull out any files that do not have associated Writing Library files to ensure that they are streamable (assuming this is actually the problem). Can follow up with more specifics if necessary.

David Birtwell

Mar 7, 2016, 12:55:28 PM3/7/16
to fits-users
Joey:

There are no current plans to implement the use of MediaInfo for audio files. The MediaInfo tool is only slated for use to extract metadata for video files.

Unfortunately, this is out of scope for us at this time, but we would consider incorporating any revisions to FITS done by yourself or others which might handle your request and issues.

Thank you for your request.

Dave B.

Senior Software Engineer

Library Technology Services

Harvard University Information Technology

90 Mt. Auburn St.

Cambridge, MA 02138