HTTP Streaming / Event Source / Server Send Events support in FirehoseIO

Szymon J.

Sep 6, 2013, 7:13:42 AM9/6/13
to fireh...@googlegroups.com
Halo,

I wonder if you ever had the need of using HTTP Streaming / Event Source / Server Send Events with FirehoseIO?

I think that adding such kind of firehose/rack/consumer would make the options of how to connect to the Streaming API quite complete. Just like in the rack-stream gem.

I actually even started adding it  as and Consumer::HttpEventSource but did not managed yet to make it work on the communication level with the Browser. Any hints how to do it?

If somebody is interested I might provide more details and the code I already have. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
SJ

PS. Thanks for putting FirehoseIO together.

Brad Gessler

Sep 6, 2013, 2:19:27 PM9/6/13
to fireh...@googlegroups.com
You'd want to put together a Firehose.Consumer.EventSource transport in CoffeeScript at https://github.com/polleverywhere/firehose/tree/master/lib/assets/javascripts/firehose.

We've been avoiding SSE because IE doesn't support it and its much less complex to deal with two transports instead of three. Compare http://caniuse.com/websockets to http://caniuse.com/eventsource and you'll see that IE 10 and 11 support WS, but not even source (bastards!).

Having fewer possible transports is a feature of Firehose.io because it keeps things much much simpler than alternatives like socket.io. I would be open to adding it if it makes connections more reliable (e.g. getting through firewalls on locked-down networks, lowering latency, etc.). I want to avoid adding any transport if the reason is only to "make more options to connect to the Streaming API".

Create an Issue on Github at https://github.com/polleverywhere/firehose/issues?state=open for eventsource support and we'll get this in front of more peeps to see if anybody is feeling pain that this could fix.

Thanks so much for contributing!

Brad